• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Found a otter while fishing a flooded slice pipe!!!

Very cool. Was walking the dogs in the morning about a month ago and saw a pair of otters hanging out at the dock, just lounging. They are beautiful animals. Nice pics, I wish I'd had the cell phone on me at the time.

I would definitely keep an eye out and identify it.
If it turns out to be a muskrat, get it outta there.
Muskrats burrow at the banks and can cause a washout in your dam if its an earth dam (got that going on at my pond now)
Muskrat will have a semi flattened vertically tail vs a beavers horizontally flattened tail.
Muskrats are generally small, 2-4 pounds, but i have trapped some over 5# in the past when habitat allowed.

Muskrat is the only ones that eat fish (not its favorite) to my knowledge.

I would definitely keep an eye out and identify it.
If it turns out to be a muskrat, get it outta there.
Muskrats burrow at the banks and can cause a washout in your dam if its an earth dam (got that going on at my pond now)
Muskrat will have a semi flattened vertically tail vs a beavers horizontally flattened tail.
Muskrats are generally small, 2-4 pounds, but i have trapped some over 5# in the past when habitat allowed.

Muskrat is the only ones that eat fish (not its favorite) to my knowledge.
yep a good dog will keep them away..Muskrats are prized for there fur but totally will destruct a earth dam..its probably a beaver...another destructive creature but protected.

Back
Top Bottom