• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fish habitat question

Just1more

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired
220   0
Reaction score
I have two old semi tractor trailer tires I need to get rid of. Would it affect the eco system in my pond if I drilled holes in them so they would sink and just send them rolling off the end of the dock for the fish to hide in?

Are Tires Good Fish Habitat?​

Fish keepers use tires as a fish habitat mainly because it is not costly. They can literally save money. Tires are easily seen anywhere, so out of stock will not be a problem. Aside from that, cavity spawners can use the tires for spawning habitat.

You are asking if tires are suitable as a fish habitat. Well, the answer depends on the user. Some users reported that tires attract largemouth bass, bluegill, and yellow perch. But some of the users also found that tires aren’t effective as fish habitat. There is only one thing that we’re sure about, and that is the fact that tires do not provide the best habitat for fishes.

How To Build A Tire Structure?​

You can use automobile tires as an option for creating fish habitat. Old tires can be utilize used to construct a satisfactory permanent fish structure. It is recommended for you to prepare the tires first. Below are the steps on how to build a tire structure.

First, to allow the tire to sink, you should make a slit. Tie them together with polypropylene rope to keep them in position. You can add one or two hallow blocks to keep the tire position stable.

You can cover the tires with a brush to increase its attractiveness to the fish. When you randomly tossed the tire to the pond, it will either wash ashore or silt in and provide no fishery benefits, making an effort when creating a fish structure for your pond.

Back
Top Bottom