• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First, you make a roux...

I just gave you the recipe brother! That's how men cook. ;) just kidding. The only seasonings I use are salt, pepper, cayenne and Tony's. All "to taste". How much water depends on how much you're making. Most recipes call for 6-8 cups. This was a really big batch with a couple cups of roux. Everything can be scaled depending on how much you want to make. There's at least 5 lbs of meat in that pot. 2 lbs sausage, one andouille and 1 smoked, 4 chicken thighs, 6 drums and three huge boneless breasts. Two onions, 6 stalks of Celery, 1 bell pepper and about 8 cloves of garlic, plus two cans of tomatoes and 2 bags of Okra.

If you can find it online, the Mulates restaurant cookbook is a good one. Also the original River Road cookbook. I sort of pull what I like from 3-4 different recipes in those books and make it my way. But they're all variations on the same theme. Gumbo is true Louisiana cooking, there's no "one" way to do it.

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_12_23_80b6262b2031cbe35c5e2ea98cb4193f.jpg

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_12_23_73bee7c0c5945c8ddd8fb54567e76ab8.jpg

Available here: http://www.mulates.com/12-MStore.html

Last edited:
if you want to give it a shot yourself, watch some Justin Wilson videos on youtube will help you get a start. best way i know to tell you aside from someone showing you.

it's all in the roux

I love Justin Wilson. Mom used to call him "Cajun Man". I was watching some his videos but they cut off at 10 mins.

It's amazing how many types of Gumbo there are and how it is prepared. I grew up eating Gumbo.
Ours had chicken,sausage oysters,shrimp and no vegetables for the file gumbo. We also had okra and seafood gumbo.
Agree.

For New Years day we had two gumbos going. One was chicken & sausage gumbo and the other was shrimp, crab meat and oyster gumbo. Good stuff!

Agree.

For New Years day we had two gumbos going. One was chicken & sausage gumbo and the other was shrimp, crab meat and oyster gumbo. Good stuff!

Roger that. I am originally from NW Florida and we do all such food the Creole way. Does your mouth water from thinking of Jambalaya. My Aunt lived in New Orleans and spoke patois French until she died. They had a meat mkt in the area and they sold Chorise,which is spicy sausage. I have never tasted anything quite like it. It was always put in gumbo and for breakfast with eggs and grits.. Now I'm hungry

Back
Top Bottom