• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First, you make a roux...

The guy who had to work late because he's supposed to be on vacation for the rest of the week. Didn't get started until after 7 and started from scratch. I'm traveling tonight and tomorrow, then coming home to a house full of guests on Christmas Eve. Had to get her done since there wasn't going to be any other time to do it.

i'm just poking at ya, looks awesome man!

sacrilege!!!

Thats what I figured.

Just remembered I took a picture of the roux I made:
IMAG0569_zpsa71f9fd3.jpg

I watched this one guy and he put his meats in a big stock pot with water, then trinity with garlic, then seasonings, then pre-made roux, then okra. Does that make sense?
Everyone has a different technique. There's alot of prep that goes into making gumbo. I start by preparing the trinity and mincing the fresh garlic. Then, I move on to browning the meats in a pot. First the sausage, then the chicken (bone-in thighs and drums). Once that's done, I remove the meat and set it aside. Then, I add water to the pot I just cooked the meat in and drop in some boneless breasts to be shredded later. By doing all that in one pot, you end up with a nice stock to start the gumbo. When the breasts are done, pull them out and let them cool, then shred by hand. While the breasts are cooking, I prepare the roux. Once the roux is done, add trinity and stir long enough to start smelling good and soften the veggies. Then, put the roux mixture into the stock and dissolve. Once that's done, start adding all the other ingredients, seasonings and more water. Stir it up, bring to a slow boil (low heat) and cook for a couple hours. I think I just got a thumb cramp....

It's amazing how many types of Gumbo there are and how it is prepared. I grew up eating Gumbo. My family especially made File, pronounced (Fee Lay). File is sassafras leaves dried in the oven and then lightly pounded into a fine powder. Bring the gumbo to a quick boil and serve with rice,then add file according to your taste. It thickens quickly and you have to be careful using it. A teaspoon or less is usually all you need.
Ours had chicken,sausage oysters,shrimp and no vegetables for the file gumbo. We also had okra and seafood gumbo.

It's amazing how many types of Gumbo there are and how it is prepared. I grew up eating Gumbo. My family especially made File, pronounced (Fee Lay). File is sassafras leaves dried in the oven and then lightly pounded into a fine powder. Bring the gumbo to a quick boil and serve with rice,then add file according to your taste. It thickens quickly and you have to be careful using it. A teaspoon or less is usually all you need.
Ours had chicken,sausage oysters,shrimp and no vegetables for the file gumbo. We also had okra and seafood gumbo.

Yea I've had file gumbo before. Good stuff. Usually if you do file you don't use okra right?

Yea I've had file gumbo before. Good stuff. Usually if you do file you don't use okra right?
Yep, file works as a thickening agent. Okra does the same thing.

Everyone has a different technique. There's alot of prep that goes into making gumbo. I start by preparing the trinity and mincing the fresh garlic. Then, I move on to browning the meats in a pot. First the sausage, then the chicken (bone-in thighs and drums). Once that's done, I remove the meat and set it aside. Then, I add water to the pot I just cooked the meat in and drop in some boneless breasts to be shredded later. By doing all that in one pot, you end up with a nice stock to start the gumbo. When the breasts are done, pull them out and let them cool, then shred by hand. While the breasts are cooking, I prepare the roux. Once the roux is done, add trinity and stir long enough to start smelling good and soften the veggies. Then, put the roux mixture into the stock and dissolve. Once that's done, start adding all the other ingredients, seasonings and more water. Stir it up, bring to a slow boil (low heat) and cook for a couple hours. I think I just got a thumb cramp....

How much water? What seasonings do you use? You got a recipe?

How much water? What seasonings do you use? You got a recipe?

if you want to give it a shot yourself, watch some Justin Wilson videos on youtube will help you get a start. best way i know to tell you aside from someone showing you.

it's all in the roux

Back
Top Bottom