• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fake gold and silver all over the place

This has been going on for years. It started in 1970's with repro depression glass and early American glass. the colors were wrong. The first coin the got screwed on was an Ellis Island silver dollar, look like a double stamp, I though I hit the jack pot. Put under my trusty microscope, no, acid test, no, won a free trip to the trash can.

This has been going on for years. It started in 1970's with repro depression glass and early American glass. the colors were wrong. The first coin the got screwed on was an Ellis Island silver dollar, look like a double stamp, I though I hit the jack pot. Put under my trusty microscope, no, acid test, no, won a free trip to the trash can. if I find that I have a repro or a fake item. I trash it, my reputation is more important that money to me.
Sell me your fakes; i am trying to get some so i can compare to real thing and show others

I scored some magnets over the weekend but got side tracked into fooling with it. Back in my scrap metal days, we were taught to hang out magnets so they will dangle when testing metals for draw. It's easy to see that way. I'm going to rig up something similar and try it on some coins. I dont have and fakes that I know of. I'll report back if there is any interest in my findings.

If you really want to play, Gold. Take bath on bad gold. Here is where they get you, price and a story. Most markets (flea) open early, before first light. People running around with flashlights. With people, when greed over powers fear, the wallet opens. The trap is, the buyer thinks there buying from a ignorant seller. I have had 70 year old grandmother's lie like a New York taxi meter. Buyer beware.

Buying/collecting "fakes" definitely has value. As long as you're buying them as fakes. When I was buying and selling silver I'd buy all the fake (spurious marks) Mexican silver I could since it was all over the place, hotly collected and real items brought good money.

How much for 1 of those? I need some fakes for education purposes

Can't sell them; otherwise I might be considered to be in (or get prosecuted for) being in the the "counterfeit coin" business.

The law even says "Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United States... with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph."

Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or

Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United Statesany false, forged, or counterfeit coin or bar, knowing the same to be false, forged, or counterfeit, with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than fifteen years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 708; Pub. L. 89–81, title II, § 211(a), July 23, 1965, 79 Stat. 257; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(K), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

I have no "intent to defraud" so maybe I am okay to have them in my possession... who knows. If you see a way that I could "pass" one to you, and it not be illegal, let me know.

Can't sell them; otherwise I might be considered to be in (or get prosecuted for) being in the the "counterfeit coin" business.

The law even says "Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United States... with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph."

Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or

Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United Statesany false, forged, or counterfeit coin or bar, knowing the same to be false, forged, or counterfeit, with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than fifteen years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 708; Pub. L. 89–81, title II, § 211(a), July 23, 1965, 79 Stat. 257; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(K), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

I have no "intent to defraud" so maybe I am okay to have them in my possession... who knows. If you see a way that I could "pass" one to you, and it not be illegal, let me know.

you should deface it on the reverse in the corner and mark fake or a big F or something on it and then you could tranfer it. kinda like torching a receiver so you can sell a sub gun kit. doing that should be fine. i have a dremel and engraving tool

I want one, too! I have a pile of birthday cards around here somewhere and a good mailing address.

I think you guys are just setting me up. Sure is hard to strike a blow to these beauties....
Notice the fancy label, showing these as 2015-08-27 production runs!!

Fake_Canadian5Dollar_Silver.jpg

Back
Top Bottom