• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fake gold and silver all over the place

I bought some silver dollars knowing they were fake, just to see how good they look. They are near perfect and feel the same weight. It’s amazing how good the Chinese are at copying anything and making it fake.
I have a small collection of Mexican "Sterling" silver objects complete with spurious marks just as examples of fakes. A lot of collectors do this.

More fakes.
thumbnail (1).jpg

The 1890 is real.
thumbnail (2).jpg

The real one on top of the stack below. Look at the edges.
thumbnail (3).jpg

but if anyone ever wants some fun junk. Just buy them off ebay. I bought a bunch a couple years back that i knew were fake. As soon as i got them i did an acid test for pictures and sent that off to ebay asking them to refund my purchase. Got all my money back and quiet a few large fake silver coins. Good for shooting or doing whatever with. . . . .or in case of apocalypse when there are no acid tests.

Can't sell them; otherwise I might be considered to be in (or get prosecuted for) being in the the "counterfeit coin" business.

The law even says "Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United States... with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph."

Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or

Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United Statesany false, forged, or counterfeit coin or bar, knowing the same to be false, forged, or counterfeit, with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than fifteen years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 708; Pub. L. 89–81, title II, § 211(a), July 23, 1965, 79 Stat. 257; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(K), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

I have no "intent to defraud" so maybe I am okay to have them in my possession... who knows. If you see a way that I could "pass" one to you, and it not be illegal, let me know.
Sell it as a REPLICA. No intent to defraud.

Back
Top Bottom