F marked AR Front Sight Base, meaning?

"F" marked FSB meaning:

• Forged

• Flat Top

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bravo Company:
"F marked... signifies that they are forged milspec."

That's pure bull S.

Everyone here agrees that "F" marked only means that the shelf height is different, for a Flat top upper.
F = Flat top.

Bravo's claim that it means "Forged milspec" is crap. They were just blowing smoke in the hopes that I would buy one.
They knew I was building a fixed A2 upper, I told them as much in my first email. And they never made any mention of the height difference.
If you dont trust what a maufacturer tells you..just move on..im sure they get all kinds of stupid commentary about the smallest of details..what is it that you are trying to "actually" accomplish? the difference in height can be made up by the height of the front site post...its that close..and BCM doest care if you buy it or not just try to buy one of their lowers...they only want certain that what they sell will not be used by just anybody...believe what you will

I don't even care really. I just wanted to point out that BC got their terminology wrong this one time.
Then this got dragged out because a lot of people got hung up on the physical difference, when my real question was just about what the "F" itself means.

If you dont trust what a maufacturer tells you..just move on..im sure they get all kinds of stupid commentary about the smallest of details..what is it that you are trying to "actually" accomplish? the difference in height can be made up by the height of the front site post...its that close..and BCM doest care if you buy it or not just try to buy one of their lowers...they only want certain that what they sell will not be used by just anybody...believe what you will

It's not "that close". It's the difference between being able to properly sight in a rifle or not. If there wasn't any real difference they would not have needed a different fsb developed for flat top uppers.

I don't even care really. I just wanted to point out that BC got their terminology wrong this one time.
Then this got dragged out because a lot of people got hung up on the physical difference, when my real question was just about what the "F" itself means.

I don't know what the F actually stands for, knowing what it means is enough.

I've always heard that it stood for 'flat top' to differentiate the height differences.
I'm sure BCM gets a lot of emails each day and do their best to correctly answer each one. What exactly was the question you asked them?
Are you building a new upper? Have you built one before?

Ummmm, BCM clearly states what it means on their site...

I think the email was poorly worded, but its intended for flat top uppers.
FSB.JPG

What exactly was the question you asked them

"I'm building a semi auto M16-A2 clone, and I'm having a hard time finding a non-"F" marked front sight base. I'd even be happy to buy a used one that's been taken off a rifle, and I'm hoping you guys might have something like that."

Here's their answer:

"All parts we carry are made to milspec. Milspec front sight bases which would be required for a M16 build are all “F marked”, which signifies they are forged milspec front sight bases."

It's not "that close". It's the difference between being able to properly sight in a rifle or not. If there wasn't any real difference they would not have needed a different fsb developed for flat top uppers.
"I'm building a semi auto M16-A2 clone, and I'm having a hard time finding a non-"F" marked front sight base. I'd even be happy to buy a used one that's been taken off a rifle, and I'm hoping you guys might have something like that."

Here's their answer:

"All parts we carry are made to milspec. Milspec front sight bases which would be required for a M16 build are all “F marked”, which signifies they are forged milspec front sight bases."
check the colt forums..someone..or colt may have what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom