• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

F marked AR Front Sight Base, meaning?

"F" marked FSB meaning:

• Forged

• Flat Top

Results are only viewable after voting.
Both are forged FSB's, it's just that the shelf is a different height. One is the height that the military wants it to be, thus it is "milspec." The other is not.

If both are forged, then why put an "F" on one saying so?

The low-shelf A1/A2 isn't milspec? Of course it is. Always has been.

The F means Flat top. It has nothing to do with "forged" or "milspec", and Bravo Company is just full of crap. Plain and simple.

So you guys are saying that someone at Bravo Company (the person responsible for answering product inquiry emails) doesn't know what the heck they're talking about?

Or they tried to BS me just to make a sale?

To me their email comes off as a general sales pitch. I doubt that they technically make anything to mil spec, because the requirements to fulfill the mil spec ( testing and quality assurance) are rigorous and expensive, and would drive any commercial company out of business. They may make stuff to mil spec design specs such as dimensions and materials, but the quality assurance apparatus is not the same.

For an m16a2 build, you definitely want a non F marked, since F marked was not even invented until the flattop came around

To me their email comes off as a general sales pitch. I doubt that they technically make anything to mil spec, because the requirements to fulfill the mil spec ( testing and quality assurance) are rigorous and expensive, and would drive any commercial company out of business. They may make stuff to mil spec design specs such as dimensions and materials, but the quality assurance apparatus is not the same.

For an m16a2 build, you definitely want a non F marked, since F marked was not even invented until the flattop came around

ummmm.....no.

He just meant that it's a milspec front sight, which is inherently going to be forged. If it's f marked, it's in spec. From what I understand f marked is slightly taller then non marked.

Screenshot_2016-02-03-19-36-06.png

Here's the email:

View attachment 665790

So it definitely means "forged" because Bravo Company told me so?

I don't read the email as saying the F means it is is forged. The full statement by BCM is that's it's "forged mil spec". That statement doesn't mean that non-F units are not forged.

The info with accompanying pics and measurement posted by 2 different posters is correct in that the difference is the height of the front sights. The correct height of the front sight base is one of the things specified in the government contract and thus one of the specs that makes it milspec.

If you make a FSB that's the same in every aspect, but one of the measurements is different, it can be said that the new FSB is not milspec.

Bravo Company:
"F marked... signifies that they are forged milspec."

That's pure bull S.

Everyone here agrees that "F" marked only means that the shelf height is different, for a Flat top upper.
F = Flat top.

Bravo's claim that it means "Forged milspec" is crap. They were just blowing smoke in the hopes that I would buy one.
They knew I was building a fixed A2 upper, I told them as much in my first email. And they never made any mention of the height difference.

Here's the email:

View attachment 665790

So it definitely means "forged" because Bravo Company told me so?
I would trust that..BCM is one of "the"best out there and they stand by what they say and what they sell..if that is what they told you that is what they sell and is per Mil spec contract
that being said others my have F marked forged sight base and it still means per military contract.. height difference between standard and milspec

Back
Top Bottom