• Forged

• Flat Top

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jmposey

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
24   0
Reaction score
Ok so what's the difference between "F" marked and non f marked AR15 front sight bases?

I always thought it was for "Flat Top" upper receiver height. But today I got an email from Bravo Company telling me that it just means "forged" because it's milspec.
So which is it? What does the "F" mark really mean?

It means that the sight post is at a slightly different height than a non F marked front sight. I don't remember off the top of my head if it is lower or higher but I think lower. A flat top carbine will need an F marked front sight base in order to zero the iron sights. A rifle length flat top can use either an F marked or non F marked. Both are forged but going back to the a1 front sight base it was cast. Did your email come from someone in the sales department? In my experience both professionally and personally the sales department does not really know about the product. Note that this is coming from an engineer in a profession that requires very precise product specifications

Here's the email:

image.png

So it definitely means "forged" because Bravo Company told me so?

It means that the sight post is at a slightly different height than a non F marked front sight. I don't remember off the top of my head if it is lower or higher but I think lower. A flat top carbine will need an F marked front sight base in order to zero the iron sights. A rifle length flat top can use either an F marked or non F marked. Both are forged but going back to the a1 front sight base it was cast. Did your email come from someone in the sales department? In my experience both professionally and personally the sales department does not really know about the product. Note that this is coming from an engineer in a profession that requires very precise product specifications

You need the F marked unless you have an A1 or A2 upper receiver.

So you guys are saying that someone at Bravo Company (the person responsible for answering product inquiry emails) doesn't know what the heck they're talking about?

Or they tried to BS me just to make a sale?

So you guys are saying that someone at Bravo Company (the person responsible for answering product inquiry emails) doesn't know what the heck they're talking about?

Or they tried to BS me just to make a sale?
I think the guy at BCM was giving you the simplest answer. Non "F" marked FSB's have a lower shelf than "F" marked ones. Both are forged FSB's, it's just that the shelf is a different height. One is the height that the military wants it to be, thus it is "milspec." The other is not.

It's just easier to say " 'F' = milspec" than to explain all that.

Back
Top Bottom