• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Educate me on drones.....

Another question....

Are the models with built in screens any better than those that require a cell phone to watch?

It seems to me that a built is screen would be better. I have old phones I could use for a monitor only, but that means keeping another device charged up and ready.

Thoughts?

Jerry

No, the Mavic is a great drone to start with. Out of the box, you're going to be in a "beginner" mode that limits the range and speed as you learn how to fly it. Once you're comfortable, you can then switch to "regular" mode in the settings. Then, when you really want the full speed, you flip a physical switch on the side of the controller to "sport" mode.

I tried to start off with a cheap drone (~$99) thinking it would be good to learn on and got frustrated immediately. You'll spend more time just trying to keep the cheap ones hovering in place and not crashing as you try and learn the controls than actually flying it. The Mavic does a great job of staying in once place while hovering so you aren't freaking out trying to figure out which stick to push where to keep it from crashing. After you launch the Mavic you can let go of the controls and it'll hover until you give the controller input.

I have been thinking about getting a drone for over a year now.

I just realized I can pick up a new Mavic Pro from my daughters business for $649.00 and free shipping.

Is a Mavic Pro too much to start out with, or would I be better off buying or trading into a less expensive model?

There are a couple here on ODT for trade, but I have not heard back from anybody yet to see if they are still available.

Trade for a used one or drop $649 on a new one?

Thanks,

Jerry
649 is a helluva a deal at this point in time.

I ended up getting a Yuneec Q500 4K this past weekend. I reeally could have saved a few dollars buy buying the Mavic with an employee discount, but I wanted a model that came with an "all-in-one" controller.

The Yuneec has everything I was looking for, along with a 4K camera.

Right out of the box I had it flying and trying out the controls. Of course, without reading the instructions and learning about the different modes, I managed to run it into a group of trees and broke a propeller within the first 15 minutes of owning the darn thing.

I decided reading the manual, watching a bunch of YouTube videos, and then flying in my pasture was a smarter thing to do. Spent the first night reading and learning.

After about 2 hours in a wide open field, I am able to take it out of 'Smart Mode", and fly it with the sticks on the controller. It really is much easier to fly this way, and I have full control of the drone.

So far I have had it up to around 250' and about 100yds away from the controller. Still too scared to go any higher right now!

I've bought a few extra batteries and learning about the charging and balancing of them right now. Also bought a few extra sets of blades, although I hope I don't need those anymore.

I'd be grateful for any hints or tips on flying or keeping my drone in 100% shape.

Thanks,

Jerry

I ended up getting a Yuneec Q500 4K this past weekend. I reeally could have saved a few dollars buy buying the Mavic with an employee discount, but I wanted a model that came with an "all-in-one" controller.

The Yuneec has everything I was looking for, along with a 4K camera.

Right out of the box I had it flying and trying out the controls. Of course, without reading the instructions and learning about the different modes, I managed to run it into a group of trees and broke a propeller within the first 15 minutes of owning the darn thing.

I decided reading the manual, watching a bunch of YouTube videos, and then flying in my pasture was a smarter thing to do. Spent the first night reading and learning.

After about 2 hours in a wide open field, I am able to take it out of 'Smart Mode", and fly it with the sticks on the controller. It really is much easier to fly this way, and I have full control of the drone.

So far I have had it up to around 250' and about 100yds away from the controller. Still too scared to go any higher right now!

I've bought a few extra batteries and learning about the charging and balancing of them right now. Also bought a few extra sets of blades, although I hope I don't need those anymore.

I'd be grateful for any hints or tips on flying or keeping my drone in 100% shape.

Thanks,

Jerry
Biggest tip:don't crash it. Lol

In all seriousness, wind is you biggest enemy. I'm not familiar with the Yuneek, but I now have a Mavic and have had a Phantom 2 as well as a Phantom 3. They are all easy to fly. Go through your presence flight checks. Don't get bored and overlook these as that's the moment something will go wrong. Protect your gimbal and the camera as those are by far the most expensive parts of the drone. Other that that, get out there, fly, and take some good video and pics. It's an addicting world.

Biggest tip:don't crash it. Lol

This is good advice!!!!

This model has a "smart mode", which keeps it about 30' from you, no matter which direction you walk, so that you can not walk up to it and grab it.

My first flight, (which should not have been started in my driveway, right next to the barn), started moving way faster than I expected, so I ran towards it to grab it and shut it down.

It did not like that move and immediately moved away from me. Right into a bunch of trees. Lesson learned I guess. It only broke one prop, and I had extras in the box so I could keep learning.

I've since ordered 2 more sets of props, just in case. Also ordered an extra factory battery and 2 extra aftermarket batteries. This gives me about 80-90 minutes of flight time between charges.

I do well enough now that I can take off from the deck of the pool and fly up above our house, and land in the yard beside the pool. For real quick maneuvers I head out the pasture to practice.

Still working up the nerve to send it up above 250'

The video is fantastic 4K and crystal clear. 100% perfectly smooth, also.

Jerry

Here are a couple of my first videos made with the Q500 4K

This one is taking off from my pasture and shows the are around my house. Mu house is buried in the middle of the woods. Pretty soon I'll work up the courage to fly over the woods and shoot down into the house clearing.

This one is taking off and landing from the pool deck. Not a lot of vertical or horizontal room to fly or make mistakes.

Here are a couple of new videos. I finally had the nerve to fly it up over my house, above the woods where I could not actually see the drone. I had to rely on my screen and just hope I was following my instruments correct!!

I need to learn how to trim my videos down. There is a lot of footage that that is not really needed.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom