• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Educate me on drones.....

While they go around peaking into windows and spying on neighbors. Drones should be illegal.

If they're peaking in your window or hovering low on top of you repeatedly, then I believe you have a case to leave it in a million pieces. Just make sure you document the harrament before you launch the ground to air missles!

Yeah I'm not for people using them for creepy reasons but seems like I read its highly illegal to shoot a drone out of the sky? There's companies that have made several inventions to take a drone down legally tho.

Yeah I'm not for people using them for creepy reasons but seems like I read its highly illegal to shoot a drone out of the sky? There's companies that have made several inventions to take a drone down legally tho.
Yep. Kman Kman posted the regs and 5 years for SAYING you are going to shoot one down and 20 for actually shooting one down. And you get years for beating the shyt out of the drone operator as well for spying on your 13 yo daughter.

It's like anything else, if you fly it and use common sense and read up a little, you'll be fine. Flying a drone above a residential area is not illegal, but your going to piss people off and draw unwanted attention. Our drone can be 350 feet above you and you can hear it no problem. Read and use common sense like you would with anything else and your good to go.

First time drone owner here (ok it's technically called a quadcopter but everyone calls them drones) and here are the basics from my experience:
  • Cheap ones (under $200) are only good for flights within a few feet from you for a few minutes at a time. You're also going to constantly have to fight it to stay still in the air. They drift from one direction to the next, while is one of the reasons people crash them so much when they're first trying to learn to fly them.
  • DJI is the industry leader in drones right now, and they make MANY different models for different uses. Some are too professional for the average user, some are made more for industrial and farming use
  • The Phantom line and the newer Mavic Pro (this is what I have) are more for the hobbyist to semi-pro.
  • The DJI drones have a beginner mode that limits range and the speed of controls that helps newbies learn to fly it. One of the best features from this level drone is that it uses GPS tracking will actually hover in place. So you can take off and let go of the controller and it will just hover in place until you touch the controls again. This makes it very easy to learn how to fly them.
  • Yes, if over .55 lbs it has to be registered with the FAA
  • DJI's software does a pretty good job of keeping you out of trouble, but you can ignore or bypass warnings if you're that kind of person. For instance, it will tell you when you're in a No Fly Zone or too close to an airport, etc
  • Legally, the FAA restricts you to staying under a 400' altitude from your point of takeoff (not based on sea-level) and the drone is supposed to be within a line of sight from the operator without the use of binoculars or a telescope. This is the one that everyone eventually breaks. For instance, my Mavic Pro has a direct line or sight range of 4.35 miles. Yes, you read that correctly. I obviously can't see it past several hundred feet, so it quickly disappears and can only be controlled by the image coming from its camera.
For what it's worth, I'll drop in some pics and specs on the Mavic Pro. I'm obvious bias since it's the only one I've owned, but I has a lot of features for the price point.

product1.djicdn.com_uploads_photos_112_medium_7cfcf16d_c022_48cf_9dd3_2c4c70603776.jpg
product1.djicdn.com_uploads_photos_114_medium_4058afad_4331_40ab_9a4e_30b49c72447b.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 8.16.43 AM.png
product1.djicdn.com_uploads_photos_280_medium_dd3e6b03_5635_4997_a918_7b58ed7ea4bd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom