• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ebola preps

I'm curious about when y'all are going to start wearing masks and suits.
Is it when you decide to go to the museum after a sizable percentage of the population has ebola?
Is it before ebola has come to GA, and you are just wearing the gear around in public just to be safe?
Is it when you are bugging out to the hills?
Is it when you are barricaded in your homes with zero contact with outsiders?

When does the gear go into use?

I'm all for being prepared for emergencies. My ghb goes everywhere, and I'm never without the basics. I just can't seem to justify hazmat suits and respirators though. If it gets to the point where I'm considering donning the gear, we're outta here. Plain and simple.

wow a question or post that doesnt seem like trolling. NICE!
I carry a flat folded n95 in my pocket, saftey glasses in the truck as well as masks for the kiddos.
If a confirmed case pops up in georgia, anywhere close to metro ATL, I don mask, go to kids school, immediately put masks on them, light decon them in the parking lot, then we go home for full showers.
Then, my friend, we are bugging in for at least 2-3 weeks to watch what happens.

ETA: the respirators and everything else are for when i need to go out in public after all of that. IE- realistically i would have to keep my kids at families house while i continue to work.

wow a question or post that doesnt seem like trolling. NICE!
I carry a flat folded n95 in my pocket, saftey glasses in the truck as well as masks for the kiddos.
If a confirmed case pops up in georgia, anywhere close to metro ATL, I don mask, go to kids school, immediately put masks on them, light decon them in the parking lot, then we go home for full showers.
Then, my friend, we are bugging in for at least 2-3 weeks to watch what happens.

ETA: the respirators and everything else are for when i need to go out in public after all of that. IE- realistically i would have to keep my kids at families house while i continue to work.

Don't confuse asking hard questions for trolling.

Right now, ebola is waaay down the list of things that could potentially kill you. I understand why people get hysterical, but I don't.

Would you really pull your kids out of school and stay at home for 2-3 weeks? Is this just in the event of a case of ebola, or how about H1N1?

Anything this contagious or deadly, yes.

MY method of gauging the situation is this:

-Watch the numbers of people verified as infected, and where they are.
We have had ONE person in the US, that we know of, that has been lose in public while having ebola. He has infected at least one other.
-I watch the "suspected" cases, but largely ignore them.
The way this works is exponential growth. If that one person in dallas infected one or two, and those people infect one or two, its largely not a big deal.

This infection will speed up and spread exponentially, in a worst case scenario, and I am basing my actions on the principal of being ahead of the curve. Especially when talking about my little boys' lives. When it appears that it is a small linear scale, in actuality it is doubling, and doubling again, and again, and again. Doubling is used as a conservative figure as well. It COULD multiply 10x-50x per sick person.

With that being said when most people are starting to take notice and have it start to hit home, I am three steps ahead. Person to person transmission was hitting home with me this weekend and I casually went about doing some shopping in preparation to bug in. I took the kids and we had fun shopping. I let them pick out fun foods, etc.

Basically, for the spread of this disease to hit ATL, I expect one of two major scenarios to happen.

1- spread from dallas or another occurance gets large enough or out of control enough to come to ATL
2- someone comes from africa and brings it to ATL

If it is scenario 1 and cases are popping up all over the country, yes i would take them out in a heartbeat.
If it is scenario 2, i would have to wait and see what the situation dictates. If the person was quickly isolated, I will probably wait. The second they find a second infected, I am pulling the kids.

I pray to god that this gets under control and you can mock me for spending hundreds on groceries and laugh about how I was ready to decon my kids in a parking lot and take them home from school. Seriously. I will welcome that day and toast a beer.

ETA- you mentioned H1N1, no I likely wouldnt do anything for that. It seems like it was just the flu, and not many people died. My kids have very strong immune systems, and rarely ever get ill. If it were H1N1, if other kids in my childrens class had it, i would prob pull them for a day or two. Most likely i would buy a REME or two for the classroom, donate a ton of bleach wipes and hand sanitizer.

Last edited:
Anything this contagious or deadly, yes.

MY method of gauging the situation is this:

-Watch the numbers of people verified as infected, and where they are.
We have had ONE person in the US, that we know of, that has been lose in public while having ebola. He has infected at least one other.
-I watch the "suspected" cases, but largely ignore them.
The way this works is exponential growth. If that one person in dallas infected one or two, and those people infect one or two, its largely not a big deal.

This infection will speed up and spread exponentially, in a worst case scenario, and I am basing my actions on the principal of being ahead of the curve. Especially when talking about my little boys' lives. When it appears that it is a small linear scale, in actuality it is doubling, and doubling again, and again, and again. Doubling is used as a conservative figure as well. It COULD multiply 10x-50x per sick person.

With that being said when most people are starting to take notice and have it start to hit home, I am three steps ahead. Person to person transmission was hitting home with me this weekend and I casually went about doing some shopping in preparation to bug in. I took the kids and we had fun shopping. I let them pick out fun foods, etc.

Basically, for the spread of this disease to hit ATL, I expect one of two major scenarios to happen.

1- spread from dallas or another occurance gets large enough or out of control enough to come to ATL
2- someone comes from africa and brings it to ATL

If it is scenario 1 and cases are popping up all over the country, yes i would take them out in a heartbeat.
If it is scenario 2, i would have to wait and see what the situation dictates. If the person was quickly isolated, I will probably wait. The second they find a second infected, I am pulling the kids.

I pray to god that this gets under control and you can mock me for spending hundreds on groceries and laugh about how I was ready to decon my kids in a parking lot and take them home from school. Seriously. I will welcome that day and toast a beer.

ETA- you mentioned H1N1, no I likely wouldnt do anything for that. It seems like it was just the flu, and not many people died. My kids have very strong immune systems, and rarely ever get ill. If it were H1N1, if other kids in my childrens class had it, i would prob pull them for a day or two. Most likely i would buy a REME or two for the classroom, donate a ton of bleach wipes and hand sanitizer.
Be careful with the bleach wipes, those are probably more dangerous than a lot of viruses.

Back
Top Bottom