• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dumping EVs, returning to gasoline powered vehicles.

Agreed. It's a whole different kind of vehicle, and has the pluses and minuses of a new technology to boot.

We've spent 100 years now building the infrastructure around ICE vehicles, and really only 10-15 so far on the infrastructure for EVs.

Same with the technology. Much as I loved the 440 Super Bee I had a a teenager, my mid-life-crisis 2000 Challenger RT with 100 cu-in less engine in it would have blown it's doors off... Simply because engines have gotten so good over the years.

I really think in the next 10 years or so we'll see ICE and EV sell on-par with each other with no subsidies needed.
Yep. You are definitely correct.

GM and Ford screwed the pooch by jumping into EVs the way they did. Toyota has been a lot smarter by taking an incremental approach, and it shows.

GM actually has a pretty good EV/Hybrid with the Volt, but because it wasn't a pure EV it didn't fit the right narrative and they canned it.

It did something similar to the RAM just announced. It would do 30 miles or so on battery, then the gas engine would kick in to charge it and drive the car.

The big difference was that the gas engine also was tied to the drivetrain for 'extra' power. I like the RAMs electric-motor-only drivetrain a lot better. Less complicated and probably a lot cheaper.

Still, the Volt would keep driving as long as you kept the gas tank filled, and it was only $30K or so when a Tesla was over $50K.

GM and Ford screwed the pooch by jump into EVs the way they did. Toyota has been a lot smarter by taking an incremental approach, and it shows.

GM actually has a pretty good EV/Hybrid with the Volt, but because it wasn't a pure EV it didn't fit the right narrative and they canned it.

It did something similar to the RAM just announced. It would do 30 miles or so on battery, then the gas engine would kick in to charge it and drive the car.

The big difference was that the gas engine also was tied to the drivetrain for 'extra' power. I like the RAMs electric-motor-only drivetrain a lot better. Less complicated and probably a lot cheaper.

Still, the Volt would keep driving as long as you kept the gas tank filled, and it was only $30K or so when a Tesla was over $50K.
If they make that Ram in a diesel model, Norfolk-Southern might be interested.

If they make that Ram in a diesel model, Norfolk-Southern might be interested.
That's actually something that surprised me. Since all the engine does is charge the generator, you would think that a diesel would make more sense. Probably makes it easier to pass emissions.

It also seems like the engine was too big... A 6-cyl seems extreme for that job.

I think it's going to come down to the battery life. If it's good for 7+ years, it will be a hit.

If it needs a battery after 3 or 4 years, and the battery is more expensive than a transmission rebuild, it will lose sales momentum before it can cement itself as a mainstream offering.

This is just swag answer. I suppose this is like saying if KC chiefs offense show up on superbowl, then they have a chance to win

Let’s be real here. Unless you’ve owned an EV, and I don’t mean the Nissan throw away car called the leaf, you know there is slight battery degradation at 10 years but it keeps ticking for years to come.

I’ve got 2 EVs, 2013 and 2014…they all drive like new still. I do notice degradation as I’ve owned them since new.

EV is the future. Embrace the future or go the way of blacksmiths.

Hybrids are the worst, like the transgenders of modern cars, like a Chinese multi tool you get for Christmas that seems like it has everything but is ultimately useless.

5 years from now you won't be able to give away a hybrid.

Can’t agree with that.

It’s a proven commodity with Prius and the Chevy volt. One of the highest owner satisfaction rating.

It isn’t a truck and can’t serve those utility purposes but gets u point A to point B rather cheaply.

Back
Top Bottom