• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dog Breeders of pure bred dogs on here?

Thank you Sir! She is a gorgeous girl with a very sweet temperment around those she knows. She does love to harass her best friend my English Bulldog and an old 14yr old cat we have outside but it's all in good fun. Her favorite thing to do is push her face in a big bowl of ice and chomp away at it.

In his defense he did say IF but I'm not trying to start an argument. Btw beautiful dog you have sir.

ICCF is way better then akc and well known!!

I prefer ICCF all day over the AKC and UKC

Someone was selling Italian cane corso off craigslist with CKC WTF!!!! and email fight me about it being the best for corsos.

I hope her head will shape up for those ears, looks kinda bad from the pics

- - - Updated - - -

about the white chest, they are known for a small white spot.Her's is pretty darn large in size

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Avalanche Cane Corsos says AKC is better than ICCF and they have dealt with both during their many years of breeding Corsos. Actually her ears turned out very well and exactly what we wanted. When I have her out in public I always recieve praise for how beautiful she is and how well her ears look and the next question is who did them. I have had people that were driving by stop their cars in the road to look at her and remark how beautiful she is. She is still a pup at 11mos and still has growing to do. White spot don't concern me at all because we know her lineage and both Sire and Dam were pure bred Corsos imported from Italy with mulitple champions. She looks very much like the Sire who is a handsome boy of 140lbs with the same white patch. I plan on looking into ICCF however my dog is already papered AKC.

ICCF is way better then akc and well known!!

I prefer ICCF all day over the AKC and UKC

Someone was selling Italian cane corso off craigslist with CKC WTF!!!! and email fight me about it being the best for corsos.

I hope her head will shape up for those ears, looks kinda bad from the pics

- - - Updated - - -

about the white chest, they are known for a small white spot.Her's is pretty darn large in size

How are they when it comes to protection of the family from threats? Not familiar with this breed but looks to be built for teasing a few trespassers

When we picked her out the breeder warned us her color and having her ears cropped tends to frighten some people and scare the neighbors. I did not want a nieghborhood friendly dog I wanted a dog that will protect my family and has the ability to do so. Corsos are a guardian breed and I would call them your families best loving friend and any intruder's worst nightmare. They must be socialized when they are pups because they will learn who is a good person and how the people that my family accepts as friends act. In that way she can spot when someone is not and watch or guard against that person. This breed requires that you and your family are the alpha leaders of the pack. They are not for everyone and if you do not lead your pack then the Corso will readily step ahead of you and take lead because it is in their nature to do so. That is where problems start. They are very suspicious of strangers naturally. If you are thinking about getting a dog like this there are many websites for information about the Italian Mastiff "Cane Corso" that dates back to the Roman Gladiator Dogs. ICCF and AKC are also good sources of information. I have owned my female now for 11mos and she is hands down the best dog I have ever owned. I spent about 3 months researching both this breed and breeders. Not all breeders are alike and you should shop around and talk to a few before picking the dog. I spoke to one guy in the Atlanta area who had blue Corsos. I passed when he said he lets his puppies go at 6wks so you will have to be the judge. I looked for an excellent breeder with years of experience and they were educated about this breed and loved it. I ended up with Avalanche Cane Corsos in Cowpens SC. Lee and Kim Chapman are great people and really love their Corsos. With our puppy I took her every chance I could to areas where there were alot of people and walked her around the neighborhood and introduced her to my neighbors. I took her into Lowes (they allow dogs) every time I went. I have walked her up to cops in their cars so she learns not to fear the uniform. I introduced her to our UPS driver who gave her a doggie treat by the way. She is in my home with her buddy the English Bulldog and she gets along well with our old cranky cat. She is very protective of myself and my family and at the same time she loves on my kids and us every chance she gets. She will lay on the floor and snuggle with my 9yr old all the time but if a threat emerged she would flick the switch and go for them and once the threat is gone she resets the switch and she is the loving family dog again. My personality is an alpha and I raised my Corso so she understands I am in charge, then my wife, my kids and my Corso. She does understand that and understand the rules of our pack. She does not get on my sofa unless invited and she is not allowed on our beds period. Doing so puts you and this dog on even ground and not a good idea. When we walk she walks at my side always and never out in front because I lead our pack. When I stop she sits and if I happen to stop for awhile to talk to someone she lays down and waits patiently. When we eat dinner she goes to the back room lays down and waits quietly. I don't have to tell her to do this she does it automatically. When I tell her to come she does so and sits. When we go to the Vet she sits in front of me and quietly waits. I have spent countless hours teaching her and socializing her but she is not perfect. She has her puppy moments and will not be fully mature until she is 2yrs. We call her a gentle giant. She has an excellent temperment and she is very good with my 3 girls. She knows her place in my pack and that is very very important with a dog like this. This breed loves their family and is not one to wonder off because they like being around their people. She will lay here at my feet and place her head across my boots. She has also sat right here next to my leg and layed her big head across my keyboard while I was typing. If you do your research, train and socialize your Corso then you could not have a better dog around your family.

She scared my Vet when she was a puppy but he was not used to dealing with Corsos. She would growl at him and wait for a chance to take a piece out of him and she was only 12wks old. I had to explain to my Vet that every time she had seen him it was very negative and painfull for her. Vet check ups, shots and ear cropping. Then the taping and untaping of her ears pulling fur off her. All very negative and she knew who was doing it. It also did not help that he showed her he was affraid of her. I brought her in to his office just to visit several times and let him sit down with her and give her a favorite dehydrated liver treat she loves. No shots and nothing negative with our dog. It was just him talking to her softly while petting her and giving her treats and that fixed the problem and I think my Vet learned something as well. Sorry for the long winded post and if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them and if I cannot I know who to ask that will.

John

How are they when it comes to protection of the family from threats? Not familiar with this breed but looks to be built for teasing a few trespassers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom