Dealership for routine car maintenance?

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
I have a couple of Toyotas and I have always taken them to the dealership for all the routine maintenance. It's more of a hassle than I would like to go there, with closer garages which do it.
(I'm not going to do it myself because I don't have a lot of free time and it is worth more than what I would pay someone else to do it.)

Is it more likely they will do a good job at the dealership? I have had mixed results.
If I go with a local mechanic, how do I know they are any good?

Thanks!

Heyward Allen Toyota has serviced my Toyota vehicles for decades.
Their prices are fair, they will match or try to beat competitors pricing, and I've never had a problem holding them accountable if they make a mistake while servicing my trucks. I research what service is required, perform what I can myself, and hire them to do the rest. My track record with my local Toyota service department has been excellent... they continue to earn my repeat business.

I have a couple of Toyotas and I have always taken them to the dealership for all the routine maintenance. It's more of a hassle than I would like to go there, with closer garages which do it.
(I'm not going to do it myself because I don't have a lot of free time and it is worth more than what I would pay someone else to do it.)

Is it more likely they will do a good job at the dealership? I have had mixed results.
If I go with a local mechanic, how do I know they are any good?

Thanks!

It depends greatly on the dealership and the mechanic you're assigned that day from the pool. I was told that I needed new wipers front and year (because they were on the inspection checklist for that mileage) by my Toyota dealership. The funny thing both were fine (they had recently replaced the fronts and I had just put a new on one the rear a couple days before); I pointed that out to the service manager and had them go take a look. The tech was just going through the motions, I really hope they put the right fluid in that day.

It depends greatly on the dealership and the mechanic you're assigned that day from the pool. I was told that I needed new wipers front and year (because they were on the inspection checklist for that mileage) by my Toyota dealership. The funny thing both were fine (they had recently replaced the fronts and I had just put a new on one the rear a couple days before); I pointed that out to the service manager and had them go take a look. The tech was just going through the motions, I really hope they put the right fluid in that day.
My son works at KIA. They get in trouble if every thing on the list isn't accounted for in some form or fashion. Unless windshield wipers are really bad I don't know how to check them unless it's raining myself.

And from what he tells me the mechanics there are hit or miss. They do go through training just for their vehicles so there is that. I think dealerships give better warranties than small shops do.

You should be able to find some certified mechanics for toyota.
Thanks. I didn't know Toyota certified independent mechanics. I googled it and this came up much closer to my house:

Back
Top Bottom