• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The damn car bidness...

Back when you could sell a dumb kid with an LES a complete ****box at an insane interest rate. Those were the days! Oh, wait. That's still going on. ;)

Sorry you're having these troubles but I do wonder what kind of rate your bank or credit union would offer you. I don't think I saw what interest rate the dealer was offering in your posts. I'm sure you could have a better chance of finding a vehicle if your financing was already handled.
My bank isn't competitive at all as far as auto loans. In fact they told me to go to Robins Credit Union. I hate Robins. My wife banks there.
Problem is MY bank would do an auto loan for me but it has to be under five years old. And I ain't trying to buy a $30K car.

• Sad
Reactions: GFB
I wish I had all the thousands of dollars I wasted at dealerships when I was younger. My current truck is an 06 and when she started getting tired I invested 10K in a new motor w/warranty and many other new parts and I intend on driving it until one of us falls apart.

on the last new purchase of a vehicle for my 93yo father, I dealt with a no bs lady salesman (the word man is gender inclusive), we made a cash deal pending manager approval. In comes the manager and says :I will approve the deal if you will finance it with us for two months, then go ahead and pay it off. He looked puzzled when I asked him why he would insult me, interest payments based on their rates would have been about $1800 for two payments....pure extra profit for them. They called back later saying they would take the deal. However, it was not over yet. I had to go to the finance manager and finally had to tell her that I was paying cash based on an agreed upon amount and would not entertain any additional paperwork fees ($800). Then came "but you do want the extended warranty, right"? No. you should, because the car has 5 (five) different computers in it. I told her she just talked me out of the purchase...thanks.

I ended up getting the car for the initial agreed on OTD price in cash. The sales lady (their most productive salesman) said she would go to another dealership if the manage tried to screw over a deal she had already made. She made some 60% of all sales at that dealership.

My wife has been wanting me to buy a new truck for years to travel. I told her there's no way in he'll I'm giving someone $70k or a $1k a month for 6 years, I'd rather pay taxes. I did make a deal with her that if my old 7.3 dies and I can't fix it while we're traveling I'll buy a new truck.

on the last new purchase of a vehicle for my 93yo father, I dealt with a no bs lady salesman (the word man is gender inclusive), we made a cash deal pending manager approval. In comes the manager and says :I will approve the deal if you will finance it with us for two months, then go ahead and pay it off. He looked puzzled when I asked him why he would insult me, interest payments based on their rates would have been about $1800 for two payments....pure extra profit for them. They called back later saying they would take the deal. However, it was not over yet. I had to go to the finance manager and finally had to tell her that I was paying cash based on an agreed upon amount and would not entertain any additional paperwork fees ($800). Then came "but you do want the extended warranty, right"? No. you should, because the car has 5 (five) different computers in it. I told her she just talked me out of the purchase...thanks.

I ended up getting the car for the initial agreed on OTD price in cash. The sales lady (their most productive salesman) said she would go to another dealership if the manage tried to screw over a deal she had already made. She made some 60% of all sales at that dealership.
This sounds very similar to my last experience. I went looking for a used truck that I'd seen on their site. Walked in, got a sales lady, told her I'd seen this truck on their site for several months now and would be interested provided we could work on the price. She was good and helpful. The sales manager/finance manager tried to do their dance with me and I wasn't hearing any of it. I told them I knew it had been sitting a while, and if it hadn't sold yet they had it priced too high anyways.

After a lot of back and forth I got the price I wanted but they were insistent I finance it with GM Financial(they're a Chevy dealership) I told them no. More back and forth we get to the purchase part and paperwork and some pencil neck shows me on their new computer my total, which they happily added an extended warranty to. I said to take that off. He threw a fit about how the price of the truck they agreed on was contingent on my purchasing their warranty... I said no I never agreed and you can tell the sales manager to come in. Instead some other guy comes in to pitch me the warranty. I told them I was about to leave without the truck.

In comes the sales manager and he tries the what if we discount the warranty. I told them I was going to walk as this isn't what was discussed. They finally relented and sold it without the warranty. Sales lady was super apologetic to me after but I told her those guys are going to cost her sales in the future. I honestly would have walked and shopped elsewhere if it weren't for her.

This sounds very similar to my last experience. I went looking for a used truck that I'd seen on their site. Walked in, got a sales lady, told her I'd seen this truck on their site for several months now and would be interested provided we could work on the price. She was good and helpful. The sales manager/finance manager tried to do their dance with me and I wasn't hearing any of it. I told them I knew it had been sitting a while, and if it hadn't sold yet they had it priced too high anyways.

After a lot of back and forth I got the price I wanted but they were insistent I finance it with GM Financial(they're a Chevy dealership) I told them no. More back and forth we get to the purchase part and paperwork and some pencil neck shows me on their new computer my total, which they happily added an extended warranty to. I said to take that off. He threw a fit about how the price of the truck they agreed on was contingent on my purchasing their warranty... I said no I never agreed and you can tell the sales manager to come in. Instead some other guy comes in to pitch me the warranty. I told them I was about to leave without the truck.

In comes the sales manager and he tries the what if we discount the warranty. I told them I was going to walk as this isn't what was discussed. They finally relented and sold it without the warranty. Sales lady was super apologetic to me after but I told her those guys are going to cost her sales in the future. I honestly would have walked and shopped elsewhere if it weren't for her.
I firmly believe thats why you see such a high turnover of salespeople. I think most are like us. They like cars,probably enjoy selling and meeting people and getting paid to do it but then you have all the other jackholes that work there that are driven solely by dollar signs.

Dont get wrong I understand its a business that needs to make money to survive but all the trickery and slide of hand crap is whats wrong.

Good call on staying away from the Sportage, my wife’s died at 70k and it was a nightmare working with local Kia dealership. Luckily they gave her a decent trade in value on it for a 14 Camry with 80k they had on their lot. Bastards kept her car for a month, stuck her with a rent a car bill, and only called her 3 times during the time they had it. Their service department is trash, wouldn’t trust them with a bicycle.

%Jim Ellis Kia
I feel the same way about Kia in General. After learning a very expensive lesson with my wife’s Sorento and my Sportage we will never own another one.

letusbuyyourcar letusbuyyourcar i can’t say enough good things about Subaru of Gwinnett. No hassle, no BS. They have the best prices around and have been great to deal with through 2 purchases now. No pressure sales. And they got the deals done fast - no waiting around for 3 hours while ‘the manager looks at something.’

My bank isn't competitive at all as far as auto loans. In fact they told me to go to Robins Credit Union. I hate Robins. My wife banks there.
Problem is MY bank would do an auto loan for me but it has to be under five years old. And I ain't trying to buy a $30K car.
The interest rate probably would not look fantastic but if it’s short-term you might check on personal loan rates as well. I wouldn’t suggest that unless someone was in a real pinch though. Online banks and credit card companies offer them. I might expect north of 8% right now though at least.

The interest rate probably would not look fantastic but if it’s short-term you might check on personal loan rates as well. I wouldn’t suggest that unless someone was in a real pinch though. Online banks and credit card companies offer them. I might expect north of 8% right now though at least.
I dont think folks with good credit are getting 8% right now.

I feel the same way about Kia in General. After learning a very expensive lesson with my wife’s Sorento and my Sportage we will never own another one.

letusbuyyourcar letusbuyyourcar i can’t say enough good things about Subaru of Gwinnett. No hassle, no BS. They have the best prices around and have been great to deal with through 2 purchases now. No pressure sales. And they got the deals done fast - no waiting around for 3 hours while ‘the manager looks at something.’
We dig Subaru too. Just ain't found one we can afford. The ol lady used to process new Subarus as they came off the ship in Brunswick. So she loves Foresters .I dig how the AWD is standard equipment and all their models CAN be had with manual transmissions.
We went to the Subaru dealer in Macon last month to see an 07 RAV4 with under 130K showing. Only reason I went was because I got one of those pre-approved letters in the mail. But just as I suspected the RAV4 was too old to finance. They kept the car on the lot since it was a really nice clean local trade in. Problem with that was anyone that wants it has to bring $10K in cash to buy it. And most folks ain't sitting on $10K . If they are they probably ain't looking for a car old as my last daughter.
It reminds me of back in 95 when I was at the Olds Cadillac lot in Warner Robins. We had not one but two Allantes sitting around collecting dust and losing floor plan money. I asked a manager why a new 93 was still there. He told me that most Cadillac buyers weren't looking for a two seater ragtop. And most ragtop buyers never gave Cadillac a second thought.

Back
Top Bottom