• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

DC Family Vacation

I just spent the last few days there with my two boys. We stayed near the Pentagon. Our hotel had a free shuttle to the Pentagon City station. I was told the yellow line below that is closed till Aug. I think, check their website. It was 95 degrees everyday and we did a lot of walking.

The first night (Thursday) we got in about 530 and went straight to the National mall area, parked right outside Bureau of Printing and Engraving (free after 630) and walked over to the Washington monument and then over to the WW2 memorial. Went on to the Lincoln memorial and Vietnam, all very close to each other, so is the Korean war memorial but we ran out of time.

The next day we took the shuttle to trains and got off at the Archives station. Visited the National Archives, Natural History and American history Museums. We then walked over to the White House. The boys wanted to visit China town which was close by:rolleyes: Walked there and had a late lunch. We then took the train up near the zoo and walked around there as well, most of the animals were no seen, too hot. I would skip the zoo if you can, I thought it sucked. We only saw a few animals including the Cheetahs. We were beat by then from the heat, all of the walking and standing in security lines outside in 95 degrees to get in the museums. I recommend carrying a small towel, wearing a hat and sunglasses.

All three evenings we went to the Village at Shirlington. There are a bunch of restaurants there and a parking garage that is free after 5. Dak chicken, sofa king good. Copperwood Tavern, awesome and the Caryle

The next day (Saturday) I was feeling froggy and we drove to Arlington Cemetery and spent several hours walking it. Tomb of the Unknown, Civil War Unknown, JFK and several others. Very cool place. From there we drove to the Air and Space museum, found a parking garage under the Holiday inn that was close by $20 for two hours. We were done by about 4pm and wore out again from the heat. We left Sunday morning, saw all we wanted to see. Only saw a couple of bums.

I just spent the last few days there with my two boys. We stayed near the Pentagon. Our hotel had a free shuttle to the Pentagon City station. I was told the yellow line below that is closed till Aug. I think, check their website. It was 95 degrees everyday and we did a lot of walking.

The first night (Thursday) we got in about 530 and went straight to the National mall area, parked right outside Bureau of Printing and Engraving (free after 630) and walked over to the Washington monument and then over to the WW2 memorial. Went on to the Lincoln memorial and Vietnam, all very close to each other, so is the Korean war memorial but we ran out of time.

The next day we took the shuttle to trains and got off at the Archives station. Visited the National Archives, Natural History and American history Museums. We then walked over to the White House. The boys wanted to visit China town which was close by:rolleyes: Walked there and had a late lunch. We then took the train up near the zoo and walked around there as well, most of the animals were no seen, too hot. I would skip the zoo if you can, I thought it sucked. We only saw a few animals including the Cheetahs. We were beat by then from the heat, all of the walking and standing in security lines outside in 95 degrees to get in the museums. I recommend carrying a small towel, wearing a hat and sunglasses.

All three evenings we went to the Village at Shirlington. There are a bunch of restaurants there and a parking garage that is free after 5. Dak chicken, sofa king good. Copperwood Tavern, awesome and the Caryle

The next day (Saturday) I was feeling froggy and we drove to Arlington Cemetery and spent several hours walking it. Tomb of the Unknown, Civil War Unknown, JFK and several others. Very cool place. From there we drove to the Air and Space museum, found a parking garage under the Holiday inn that was close by $20 for two hours. We were done by about 4pm and wore out again from the heat. We left Sunday morning, saw all we wanted to see. Only saw a couple of bums.
thanks! I didn't know the yellow line below pentagon city was closed till august. I just hope my hotel has a shuttle to the metro now.

I've downloaded all the DC Apps I could find what if any did you use?

You mentioned Arlington. Don't miss the changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknowns. Very impressive.

This. The changing of the guard is very moving, had my mother in tears, especially when you read about the training and commitment required.
Did you make reservations for a White House tour? Used to be booked months out.

The Holocaust Museum is very moving. Definitely a downer though. The Vietnam memorial is also another one of those sobering monuments.

We took our boys when they were about 7 or 8. We had a ball.

Finding places to eat is a challenge and brother it ain't cheap when you do find a place.

Seconds on the Spy Museum. Really cool.

I could spend a month wandering through all the museums in DC.

Have a great time! Take water with you, it's gonna be HOT and CROWDED!

thanks! I didn't know the yellow line below pentagon city was closed till august. I just hope my hotel has a shuttle to the metro now.

I've downloaded all the DC Apps I could find what if any did you use?

Yeah. Yellow and blue below Reagan airport. No apps, we winged it and had a ball

Go in April during the cherry blossom festival.
Natiomal Cathedral
The Awakening statue.
Smithsonian. Go the Air and space outside of DC, with more exhibits.
Get tickets for the Holocaust museum in advance, they sell out before they open

Back
Top Bottom