Date of AWB introduction

There would be numerous votes, tweaks and court cases before anything could be agreed upon. There's no simple answer to a question like that. Could be months, could be years.. Could be never.

This^^^
The Dems lost more seats in the house this time around. If they do not get it rammed through by summer, they will be starting the next round of elections and run from it.

Not true.

http://www.rightsidenews.com/201301...ein-goes-for-broke-with-new-gun-ban-bill.html

Feinstein has said numerous times that she will submit her bill to the floor once the new Congressional Session starts. Also, another Senator is going to submit a high capacity magazine ban bill for approval on Jan 3rd.

Will submit. As of now there is no bill. And who's to say she is the only one writing one?
Let's not forget VP Biden's panel, and how their recommendation will be applied...

Will submit. As of now there is no bill. And who's to say she is the only one writing one?
Let's not forget VP Biden's panel, and how their recommendation will be applied...

You said they had no timetable and that isn't true. And as I stated before, there is also another Senator who is going to submit a high capacity magazine bill on the same day.

Last edited:
You said they had no timetable and that isn't true. And as I stated before, there is also another Senator who is going to submit a high capacity magazine bill on the same day.

I meant no time table for implementation of said hypothetical ban.
Sorry for any confusion...

I'm worried about the mag cap ban getting through. From what I understand a lot of pro-gun politicians are already swaying on the AWB and might see a mag cap ban as a good compromise.

This^^^
The Dems lost more seats in the house this time around. If they do not get it rammed through by summer, they will be starting the next round of elections and run from it.
Actually, the Democrates gained seats in the House, but the Republicans retained the majority.

No one can say when a new law will take effect. The simply answer is once a bill is passed by both houses of the Congress and it is signed by the President. The longer it takes for the bill to be debated in the Congress the better. We need time to pass so that the emotions of the last shooting have moderated. For that reason I expect the administration and pro-ban forces will want to move quickly. Also, look for the administration to do what they can without the Congress. I don't want to spell out here some of the actions they may take, but if they can they will issue Executive Orders and regulations to gum up the works.

I'm thinking the "high capacity magazine" ban will pass and probably the gun show loophole fix will go through. However, I don't see the AWB ban going through the house mainly because of the majority republicans and you also have to remember there is plenty of pro-gun Democrats.

I'm worried about the mag cap ban getting through. From what I understand a lot of pro-gun politicians are already swaying on the AWB and might see a mag cap ban as a good compromise.

Yup, the mag cap is the place where otherwise pro-Second Amendment types might 'compromise'. It's hard to describe a 'need' for a 30 round magazine.

The example I always use is this:

Home invasion is the most likely reason you would use a self-defense firearm for protection. The AR (.223) is popular with police and civilians alike, because it tends not to over-penetrate in an enclosed environment (house or apartment).

If you do the numbers....

Average number of attackers in a home invasion 'crew' = 3
Average number of center-mass hits required to stop an attacker = 3
Percent of center-mass hits to all shots fired by a trained police officer = 50%

So to get 3 hits on 3 attackers you need 9 rounds. But even a trained officer is only going to connect 50% of the time, so best case you have to double that to 18 rounds needed.

(BTW, I'm not dogging on cops there, those are the best stats I could find out there, and seem pretty well documented. That 50% is actually pretty impressive, if you think about the fact that this is in circumstances that would have 99% of the population running, hiding or just giving up. )

Now work it out with a 10 round magazine. You will have one attacker down. You will have one attacker wounded, which might make him reconsider his life choices, or may just piss him off. You have one attacker completely untouched, but who now sees you with an empty firearm.

The 'Tueller Drill" tells us the average person can cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Most of us simply can't change an AR mag, chamber a round and get the gun back on target that quickly.

So unless you have a pretty big house with a very long hallway, that 10 round magazine probably just killed you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom