• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Couples and Families to Plan and Prep together

I started a new thread about potentially forming a group of like-minded (i.e., Group 3 AND Group 4) individuals and families to develop a (mostly) self-sustaining community in the country of Panama.

See, I read this differently... The Y2K preppers found out that it wasn't a big deal... then 12 years later someone started this thread about preparing for the next doom's day... now its 12 years later and here we still are... no apocalypse... Fast forward another 12 years and the folks here forecasting the end of times will find that in 12 years, still no end of the world...

I guess it never hurts to be prepared, but at some point, don't you(not you personally) start to feel like those religious zealots who every few years go up to the top of the hill and prepare for the rapture... and then 12:01 rolls around as they sit there confused, and mumble something about "Maybe Carl got the date wrong again" and they vow to return in 5 years... Over, and over... lol

I appreciate your thoughts, and you bring up a valid point about the balance between preparedness and the prediction of dire outcomes that never materialize. It's true, the big crises like Y2K have come and gone without the apocalyptic consequences some anticipated. However, I see our form of preparedness not as waiting for an end but as a way to enhance our daily lives through better readiness for any lesser emergency that is much more likely to occur—like natural disasters, power outages, or even personal financial crises.

The philosophy here isn't about fearing an apocalypse but rather about adopting a lifestyle that values self-reliance and readiness, which can provide peace of mind and practical benefits. Whether it's having backup power during a storm or extra supplies during unexpected global events, the goal is to not be caught unprepared.

The analogy to religious zealots is humorous and taken in good spirit. Yet, I think there's a distinct difference in preparing logically for probable scenarios versus awaiting a prophesied event without question.

Back
Top Bottom