Corona on a aircraft carrier

Son-in-law is Navy and will deploy in about 10 days. He is restricted to home and work for 14 days prior to deployment. Once he goes on the ship they will be prepping to get underway for 2 weeks before they pull out. He will be gone for a year. They have been told they will not port anywhere until they come home.

Do I fear for him? Yes I do. Do I fear for his wife and 2 children? Yes I do. Is there anything I can do? Hope and Pray is all I can do.

I fear for this country when I watch the news and see all the people who will not listen and who gather together and walk together and stand close together and expose themselves to this virus since they not only expose themselves but they expose everyone else they get close to.

Three carriers named in this thread now, America, Kittyhawk and I was on the Saratoga.
It sounds like the berthing compartments were the same on all, for Navy and Marines.
Close quarters for sure, stacked 3 high.

On the amphibious assault ships we were stacked 4 high on LST's, LPH's and LSD's.
A bug like that on a ship has got to be a nightmare, at least on the cruise ships you have a room of your own.
And nobody would want to be on one of those right now!

Son-in-law is Navy and will deploy in about 10 days. He is restricted to home and work for 14 days prior to deployment. Once he goes on the ship they will be prepping to get underway for 2 weeks before they pull out. He will be gone for a year. They have been told they will not port anywhere until they come home.

Do I fear for him? Yes I do. Do I fear for his wife and 2 children? Yes I do. Is there anything I can do? Hope and Pray is all I can do.

I fear for this country when I watch the news and see all the people who will not listen and who gather together and walk together and stand close together and expose themselves to this virus since they not only expose themselves but they expose everyone else they get close to.

OMG! A year on a ship without a liberty port, that's nuts!
A typical Med, NATO or WestPac cruise was only 6 months and that felt like a long time.
A year, no liberty, damn that sounds tough!

I wish you and yours the best of health, that young man is doing enough to cover all your debts.

70 sick with COVID-19 on that aircraft carrier now.
(I wonder if there are many more who carry the virus but have not shown symptoms of illness yet.)

That's one of the issues. It incubates for so long. I also read a story about there's about 1 in 4 people who have it and never show a single sign of it. So they run around infecting all unknowingly.

hope all them boys pull through and im sure they will (praying of course for everyone) but this will be a good litmus test to see how serious it really is; find out if covid19 is the super killer made out to be

It's running at 4% right now. Hopefully they beat all of the odds.

Haze gray, salt spray, underway, everyday is grueling. My hat is off to him and the rest of the crew.

Back
Top Bottom