Corona on a aircraft carrier

Hard to isolate and social distancing is a joke on a ship. My berthing compartment on the USS Kittyhawk had us stacked 3 high and so close you shared dreams when you slept which wasn’t much. Living on a carrier is like living in a factory with 4,999 other miserable assholes. Berthing was brutal after Mexican/Burtito night in the mess.

My Dad was on the USS America. He was telling me close quarter stories this afternoon lol.

Kitty was 200 ' longer than the yorktown and we had close to the same crew -
My compartment. 5 decks down, surrounded by water and fuels -- one ladder out with escape manhole on opposite corner -- bunk mate a hi pressure steam line ==
top rack no one pukes on you ---
a bug can go through a whole crew in days ----

Hard to isolate and social distancing is a joke on a ship. My berthing compartment on the USS Kittyhawk had us stacked 3 high and so close you shared dreams when you slept which wasn’t much. Living on a carrier is like living in a factory with 4,999 other miserable assholes. Berthing was brutal after Mexican/Burtito night in the mess.

Try being sealed in a steel tube with 120 other guys. Better yet, having to hot rack because there is not enough bunks available for everyone to have their own. Used to call it hot racking because usually when it was your turn to get some sleep the mattress was still warm.

We hot rack during ocean sailboat racing. Climbing into another dudes bunk after being at sea for a week really make you appreciate clean cool sheets.

I started taking the night watch and sleeping on deck after a couple hot racks.

We hot rack during ocean sailboat racing. Climbing into another dudes bunk after being at sea for a week really make you appreciate clean cool sheets.

I started taking the night watch and sleeping on deck after a couple hot racks.

Better hope the guy before didn't drool on the pillow in his sleep.

Back
Top Bottom