• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Considering a Cobra Replica.

Anyone have any experience with a cobra replica? I have been interested for a long time, but am now thinking about actually buying one. It's obviously easier to buy a used one as opposed to getting a Factory Five Kit and building it myself. But, it also seems like a crap shoot on the build quality of a used one.

Thoughts?
If you get one make sure you get an 1986 motor or newer for drivability. Those things carbureted can choke you to death. One with a four valve 4.6 or new coyote would be optimum. Just have the guys a Moe's speed shop check it out for you. Tell them I sent you. If their still around speed is not exactly a priority these days. Really you just want to make sure the suspension geometry is correct. They are open and easy to get to so a good inspection should be easy and straight forward. Spend the money for s good 4 wheel alignment. That will expose a lot of gremlins. Check steering set up. Those thing are so loud they can drown out s lot of potential problems simply because you can't here it. Nothing can replace a good long test drive. Don't do a around the block job have the owner get in and go on a nice long ride. That way everything is heated up and loose. She if she tracks right on straight road, step on the brakes good and stiff and she if it pulls to one side. Most of all read the seller. Try to determine if he is conservative ( not in politics ). Look at his other cars and see how he treats those. Little things like that can give you loads of info that will dictate how the car you are buying was treated. Hope this helps. That's what I did before guns was build LS based motors and tune them with HP tuners. I built suspensions for street and strip as well. Muy back couldn't take it anymore and guns are a lot less greasy and the parts are lighter.

It's been my dream to own one for a couple of years now. I've also been looking at the Lotus Super 7s and the Caterhams. The 3 wheel Morgans and Vanderhalls have caught my eye as well. Reason I mention those others is bc the price point seems more reasonable since the Cobras are commanding a premium...

Built a Factory Five Cobra with the 305 engine a few years back. A great kit with numerous upgrade choices. Excellent customer support.
Scarey fast. Handled like a cart.

I once visited Unique Motors in Gadsden, Al during their annual "homecoming". This year it is May 7-8, so you can visit and see a lot of buyers' cars. The owner and worker are very friendly and the fiberglass guy takes a lot of pride in his work.

Their "do it yourself" kit is more of a "we build it, take some stuff apart and you put it back together", so there isn't a lot of time spent building a car.

Worth a look:

http://www.uniquemotorcars.com

I’ll definitely go to the homecoming. Thanks!

Not too many people with the skills to drive one of the cobras hard. The ones driven hard are easy to spot, they are the ones with the rear quarter or rear smashed when it stepped out and the driver inexperienced with oversteer chopped the throttle and over corrected.

Back
Top Bottom