• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Considering a Cobra Replica.

An interesting piece of trivia. The actual real cobra with the 427 could go from 0 to 100 and back to 0 in ten seconds. Damn impressive for that year. The torque in one of those had to be staggering.

Even more impressive. Caroll Shelby built two Super Snakes with twin Paxton supercharged 427s that were putting down 900rwhp. One of which he gave to Bill Cosby who drove it one time and gave it back because it scared him to drive it.

Even more impressive. Caroll Shelby built two Super Snakes with twin Paxton supercharged 427s that were putting down 900rwhp. One of which he gave to Bill Cosby who drove it one time and gave it back because it scared him to drive it.
Driving something that powerful is check your pants experience. My buddy that went S.W.A.T moved to far for me to work on his cars. So he someone put a supercharged LS3 in his Yellow Fixed Roof Coupe Corvette. First time he got a chance to bring the car up from me to see. It came off the Dyno at 870 HP at the rest wheels. We walked over to take a look and he tossed me the keys. This thing had a camshaft that barely idled. I had built three LS powered Camaros for him so he trusted me to drive it. I drove down Hickory Grove Rd. Down to 92 where Cabela's is. I got on the south bound exit and hit it I was doing a buck 40 by the time I got on 75 into a straight lane. That wasn't even near full throttle. What scared me is I down shifted to third on I 75 South and at 85 mph I gave her almost full throttle the car didn't move it just started roasting the tires and the rear end started sliding to the right. I let off to get traction and hit it again the acceleration at that speed was violent. Needless to say I backed out if and drove safely all the way home. That was the first time I have ever been frightened to a pale white behind the wheel. I sold Dodges for years and drove every year Viper that came out. I was one of the only salesman they let take the Viper off the lot and drive. I use to goose those all the time. Torquey but manageable but a ***** cat compared to that Vette. Those Cobras with a 400 or 500 HP power plant will be the same way. They are half the weight of a Vette so HP to weight ratio would be about the same. It would literally be a death trap for those who have never experienced that kind of power.

I traded for one about 12 years ago. I am still a member of both Cobra Forums. The car is too hot (no A/C) in the GA summer.

I went to this convention in 2012:
WG2012l.jpg

I owned it a year before a good trade. I say buy or build carefully to protect your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom