• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Considering a Cobra Replica.

Russ-T

Default rank <500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Survivalist
80   0
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with a cobra replica? I have been interested for a long time, but am now thinking about actually buying one. It's obviously easier to buy a used one as opposed to getting a Factory Five Kit and building it myself. But, it also seems like a crap shoot on the build quality of a used one.

Thoughts?

I once visited Unique Motors in Gadsden, Al during their annual "homecoming". This year it is May 7-8, so you can visit and see a lot of buyers' cars. The owner and worker are very friendly and the fiberglass guy takes a lot of pride in his work.

Their "do it yourself" kit is more of a "we build it, take some stuff apart and you put it back together", so there isn't a lot of time spent building a car.

Worth a look:

http://www.uniquemotorcars.com

Fair weather hot rod. It made Matt Farrahs list of top ten or five cars trying to kill you. I would have linked the video but I couldn’t find it.
I wouldn’t buy one but I’d love to have one. Lol

I used to be a Backdraft and Roush dealer when I lived in Florida. I would buy a rolling chassis from Backdraft, a motor and trans from Roush, and then put them together for final sale. The quality of the body, paint, and interior was very good. The wheels were real knock-offs and the rolling chassis was made from BMW 3-series parts (great brakes, etc). These are basically finished, you just drop in the motor/trans. Right now Cobra replicas are probably commanding a premium. If you can wait until there is a downturn in the economy you'll get a deal from someone who has to sell. Last piece of advice is this - 302 is the perfect motor. I built them all the way up to all aluminum 427s with 550hp and they were almost undriveable. The 302 is all the power you can use and it gets decent mileage when your foot is not in it.

https://www.backdraftracing.com/

Fair weather hot rod. It made Matt Farrahs list of top ten or five cars trying to kill you. I would have linked the video but I couldn’t find it.
I wouldn’t buy one but I’d love to have one. Lol

This is true - a Cobra is a bit like a four wheel motorcycle when it comes to weather.

guy keeps running one near my shop on 1941. the first time he came by it was choking and popping. after the 3rd pass it was running clean.must have been in mothballs for the winter...

Thought about it myself - I like the Daytona Coupes though.

Don't know about buying a used one, but I'd want to see a lot of pictures and receipts showing what parts they used and how they did it. Might be worth the money to have it professionally inspected, to really go over the car before buying.

Maybe go to a club event (and join) to start looking at them in person and talking to the people that have done them to get tips. They can share what to look out for in used ones, common issues and also if any are for sale.

Thought about it myself - I like the Daytona Coupes though.

Don't know about buying a used one, but I'd want to see a lot of pictures and receipts showing what parts they used and how they did it. Might be worth the money to have it professionally inspected, to really go over the car before buying.

Maybe go to a club event (and join) to start looking at them in person and talking to the people that have done them to get tips. They can share what to look out for in used ones, common issues and also if any are for sale.
Daytona coupes are cool but i think the gt40’s are the coolest ones out there

Back
Top Bottom