• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Completely Perplexed.... Question about "sniper" rifles

Absolutely!!!,,, yes it has. This is as bad as the dumbazzes I see at a firing range in full turn out gear because they are shooting a military type weapon. XBOX and Playstation have ruined the world.
Are those the same guys that go to the buck a rama in full camo? Not that I could see them......I just heard a rumor they were there!:pound:

I think there is a difference between sniper rifle and sniper's rifle. By your wording here sniper rifles cannot be made by manufacturers, only snipers. Then again, any rifle owned by a sniper is a sniper rifle, not a sniper's rifle.

But I do understand your thoughts and intent.

I keep seeing listings for "sniper" rifles. My question is did a sniper build it or does a sniper own it. If not how is it a sniper rifle? If so, is the sniper self proclaimed or did he pay his dues and go through the training to earn the title.

If a true sniper doesn't own it or didn't build it, couldn't it or shouldn't it be titled an accurate rifle, precision rifle or maybe a target rifle.

My way of thinking is any rifle that is owned by a real sniper is a "sniper rifle". BB gun, lever action 22lr, single shot 44 mag, Hell the list is endless.

What's next, listing AR's as Delta rifle, Seal rifle or maybe Ranger rifle, oh damn what about a Glock as a "Gunney" pistol.

I apologize for the rant, but this kind of crap just chaps my azz.

Any rifle that has the right features and characteristics to be a good choice for a sniper / countersniper to use is a "sniper rifle" to me.
That means tactical or paramilitary features that make it more suitable for combat than hunting, or bench-rest target shooting.
I don't care who owns or owned it, or even whether that particular make and model is used by any military or L.E. sniper teams. As long as it's the type that could be, that would be a reasonable choice "if" they adopted it for such use.

What scope mounts do you have on your JC?
Mounting a scope on a Higgins is a tough task, as you probably know. I have found the only ones that work well are the Leupold Rifleman split ring mounts (Item 56533, I think) for a normal scope. The high rings for this 50mm scope are a different number (I think 57323). The grooved receiver on Higgins rifles are more narrow than a standard .22 rifle and these mounts will shrink to that dimension with the bottom screw with no problems... and still not do any damage to the receiver.

Lame. I dont even bother with them as i agree the video game world has made people feel they are capable of a lot more.

Precision rifle, SPR, Match, ETC........

images

Any rifle that has the right features and characteristics to be a good choice for a sniper / countersniper to use is a "sniper rifle" to me.
That means tactical or paramilitary features that make it more suitable for combat than hunting, or bench-rest target shooting.
I don't care who owns or owned it, or even whether that particular make and model is used by any military or L.E. sniper teams. As long as it's the type that could be, that would be a reasonable choice "if" they adopted it for such use.
So what about all of the Remington 700 LRH and varmints that are being hunted with. There is hardly a spit difference in them and the PSS and there are countless sniper teams using it including the one I was on

Back
Top Bottom