• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chattahoochee Trout fishing

Ah... well yeah if you are in the area and have the time. I just wouldn't be driving down here on the weekends if I was up there.
A kayak makes all the difference no doubt. Wish I'd have gotten one years before I did.
As others have said, the dam is probably the easiest/most productive. There are trails on the west bank you can walk to several different wade-able spots and many fish right there at the dam/boat launch. You can also wade at Settle's Bridge.
I was on the Morgan falls overlook park side a few weeks ago. No luck which I had no room to cast and water was swift

I was on the Morgan falls overlook park side a few weeks ago. No luck which I had no room to cast and water was swift
I've learned catching fish, or not, in any particular spot generally means little to nothing about your next outing on the Hooch to the same spot. In general though you need to get upstream from there for better trout fishing and of course do not fish during a release.

Ok so I will give you the best advice for finding lots of trout. I used to work at the Buford Trout Hatchery for the DNR which is where a huge number of Georgia's trout are raised. About 3-4 times a month we would load up huge trucks will a few thousand pounds of fish and would go to different locations on a rotating schedule to release them into the streams and rivers. We often times would have people call us and ask where the most recent release was located at and the managers would give out the info no problem, so I would HIGHLY suggest calling to the trout hatcheries and see if they will tell you where they just had their most recent release. I can tell you first hand if you go down the river after one of these releases you will have one of the best days you'll ever have.

Ok so I will give you the best advice for finding lots of trout. I used to work at the Buford Trout Hatchery for the DNR which is where a huge number of Georgia's trout are raised. About 3-4 times a month we would load up huge trucks will a few thousand pounds of fish and would go to different locations on a rotating schedule to release them into the streams and rivers. We often times would have people call us and ask where the most recent release was located at and the managers would give out the info no problem, so I would HIGHLY suggest calling to the trout hatcheries and see if they will tell you where they just had their most recent release. I can tell you first hand if you go down the river after one of these releases you will have one of the best days you'll ever have.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This it's why I love this site. See you guys on the river!

There are plenty of trout. The biggest trick for fly fishing is matching the hatch. When they are fresh out of the DNR trucks, they probably will be most susceptible to something that looks like a food pellet. That's good info about the hatchery, never thought to ask them where they have been stocking.

Gee, if your in Cartersville you need to go north and learn what your doing. Fly fishing isn't everyones cup of tea As far as the chattahoochie is concerned the Settles Bridge area on the river use to be fantastic. I actually caught a 7 1/2 pound trout out of there on a rappala. it wasn't quite the state record but wasn't off by much. The problem with Settles bridge is that money has found the area and there are neighborhoods all over the place. The road getting in there isn't great bit my son says the fishing there is great. One of the places I have found down around 285 is just a little further down river, If I was on the bridge headed to Marietta it would be too the left. If you get a chance take a look and you will see a little bluff or a rocky point on the left. There are a ton of rocks in that area and that is where the trout hide. Go around the point and the fishing gets better. I use to go to Rays on the River and park and walk over and get in the water there. but keep in mind that is a dangerous place to fish and I wouldn't try it till you are a better fisherman. No insult intended but fisherman do die on that river. There was another spot just off Johnson Ferry before they put the million dollar homes alongside the river where you had great fly fishing. Then they put up a gate and the only people who could fish there were residents. However if the gate is open you have legal right to fish down there. Good luck finding a place to park, Please take care and keep on mind the warnings. jd

Gee, if your in Cartersville you need to go north and learn what your doing. Fly fishing isn't everyones cup of tea As far as the chattahoochie is concerned the Settles Bridge area on the river use to be fantastic. I actually caught a 7 1/2 pound trout out of there on a rappala. it wasn't quite the state record but wasn't off by much. The problem with Settles bridge is that money has found the area and there are neighborhoods all over the place. The road getting in there isn't great bit my son says the fishing there is great. One of the places I have found down around 285 is just a little further down river, If I was on the bridge headed to Marietta it would be too the left. If you get a chance take a look and you will see a little bluff or a rocky point on the left. There are a ton of rocks in that area and that is where the trout hide. Go around the point and the fishing gets better. I use to go to Rays on the River and park and walk over and get in the water there. but keep in mind that is a dangerous place to fish and I wouldn't try it till you are a better fisherman. No insult intended but fisherman do die on that river. There was another spot just off Johnson Ferry before they put the million dollar homes alongside the river where you had great fly fishing. Then they put up a gate and the only people who could fish there were residents. However if the gate is open you have legal right to fish down there. Good luck finding a place to park, Please take care and keep on mind the warnings. jd

I work all around Atlanta. I try to hit up spots on days that I get off early. So it is safe for me to fish by Ray's on the River? I know that the delayed harvest is around this area. I've read up quiet a bit in the last few weeks. I am very new to fly fishing but I can cast the heck out of an open face reel....thank you for the advice

Back
Top Bottom