• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Changing front cv axle - which way least likely to affect alignment

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to change out the front cv axle on a 2013 Santa Fe. I just had it aligned a few months ago.

I've seen 2 approaches, first is to detach the bottom ball join and tie rod, then pivot the lower control arm down and manipulate the hub and strut.

The other is to unbolt the top of the hub from the bottom of the strut and pivot it down on the lower control arm.

Any thoughts on which approach is least likely to affect the alignment ?

A lot of places give a warranty on alignments. But. I think you'll need an alignment no matter how you change the part.

Lower ball joint approach is a safer bet. Removing the strut bolts from the knuckle is a faster way, but there is a risk of stretching/damaging the abs sensor if not removed beforehand. Either way shouldn’t effect the camber.

Lower ball joint approach is a safer bet. Removing the strut bolts from the knuckle is a faster way, but there is a risk of stretching/damaging the abs sensor if not removed beforehand. Either way shouldn’t effect the camber.
I was leaning that way. If I went the upper route if strip the caliper and the rest of first.

I always marked pieces when I pull them so they'll go back in the same way. I use a white out pen.

I'm thinking going the bottom ball join route the only variable is the depth the pin seat too, so pretty minimal effect.

I replaced CV axles on a 2012 Hyundai this past Thursday. Pulled the two strut tower bolts to lower the knuckle and control arm with another jack. The way your Santa Fe's ball joints are designed allow you to go either way though as the ball joint is just 3 easily accessible bolts/nuts. Both ways have VERY little adjustability so your alignment should be good.

I replaced CV axles on a 2012 Hyundai this past Thursday. Pulled the two strut tower bolts to lower the knuckle and control arm with another jack. The way your Santa Fe's ball joints are designed allow you to go either way though as the ball joint is just 3 easily accessible bolts/nuts. Both ways have VERY little adjustability so your alignment should be good.
Thanks. Having gone the strut route, did you remove the caliper or abs sensor to prevent stretching? Think that's the easiest route ?

Back
Top Bottom