• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying in state from an out of state resident

View attachment 6570123

What you cannot do (legally) is buy either a long gun or handgun FROM a person from another state and take delivery of it FROM the seller in either HIS or YOUR home state. You can buy it, but you are supposed to take delivery at an FFL in your state. I have no idea how the "contiguous states" or "border states" thing got started back in the 90s' but it persists to this day. Based on my reading of the laws posted on the ATF website, I can find no reference to this "loophole" in transfering ownership just because your state shares a border with another.
Thanks for the clarity

FFL holders (gun dealers) can sell a long gun to a person from any other state if the sale does not violate the laws of either the FFL dealer's state for the buyer's home state.

This law used to say only with an adjacent state --meaning a bordering state. But that was probably 20 years ago. An old law, now amended.

Private parties do not get the benefits this exception in the law. No selling long guns or handguns between residents of different states. They must get an FFL dealer involved.

When a South Carolina resident wanted to buy one of my rifles for $1000, I drove into the state of South Carolina and met him at a local gun shop on his side of the border.

I transferred it indirectly to him through that FFL.

In a private firearms transaction in Georgia, burden is ONLY ON THE SELLER to ask the 3 simple questions and receive an affirmative from the buyer.. whereas there‘s NO requirement of the buyer to ask any questions of the seller.

**asking does not require visual proof either, keep your id’s holstered.

1) Are you a Georgia resident?
2) Are you at least 18 years old? (18 can legally purchase pistols in a private transaction in Ga)
3) Are you legally allowed to own firearms?

Again, seller asks 3 basic questions and receives an affirmative from the buyer and “job is done”
The seller isn’t required to ask any questions.

Back
Top Bottom