• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I can't remember............. when trading handguns out of state do the firearms have to be shipped to an in state FFL?

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
Or can you just meet at an FFL in either state to do the 4473s? I know with rifles you can but handguns are a different animal.

Or can you just meet at an FFL in either state to do the 4473s? I know with rifles you can but handguns are a different animal.

The easiest would be doing the transfer in the buyer's state. I'd check with the FFL that they're willing to handle that kind of transfer before just showing up (many will only accept transfers shipped from another FFL). If you do the transfer out of the buyers' state; it would still need shipped to an FFL in the buyer's state.

The easiest would be doing the transfer in the buyer's state. I'd check with the FFL that they're willing to handle that kind of transfer before just showing up (many will only accept transfers shipped from another FFL). If you do the transfer out of the buyers' state; it would still need shipped to an FFL in the buyer's state.
Roger that. Thank you Sir.

I think for handguns, a "TRADE" using a single FFL dealer in a face to face deal would be problematic,

because one of the parties would be attempting to purchase a handgun in a state for which they are not a resident.

If it were a sale, the answer is easy:
the seller brings the handgun into the buyer's state and they use a local FFL in the same state as the buyer's residency.

Let's differentiate "sale" and "transfer."

You can certainly purchase (pay cash or trade or some combination) a handgun from an out of state seller, but to be 100% legal, the handgun must be shipped or carried to a receiving FFL holder in your home state for TRANSFER to you. You cannot take possession of the handgun FROM A SELLER in a state in which you are not a resident.

Long guns/receivers, etc., purchased or traded for between you and an out of state private seller must ALSO be shipped or carried to a receiving FFL in YOUR home state for TRANSFER to you. Purchases (and transfers) of long guns directly from FFLs outside your home state are usually good to go provided the firearm is legal in both the state in which you purchased it AND in your home state.

Back
Top Bottom