• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying in state from an out of state resident

Just to cut to the chase, the language is such that a trade need not require the involvement of an FFL provided that both parties undertake the transfer of ownership in the state in which they both have residency.

So, the seller just visiting the buyer's state (unless he has a second residence in that state too) would be a no.
I have always understood that just 'having' a home in another state is not good enough. Your home is where your primary residence is/where you live most of the time and where you have your drivers license, ccp, etc.

to clarify the question i have a ga drivers lic and the other guy has a Alabama or florida licence can i buy in my state ga? I know I can not sell in ga to a Alabama resident etc it must be shipped to ffl .

May a person who resides in one state and owns property in another state purchase a firearm in either state?​

If a person maintains a home in two states and resides in both states for certain periods of the year, they may, during the period of time they actually reside in a particular state, purchase a firearm in that state. However, simply owning property in another state does not alone qualify the person to purchase a firearm in that state.

1701902094866.png

What you cannot do (legally) is buy either a long gun or handgun FROM a person from another state and take delivery of it FROM the seller in either HIS or YOUR home state. You can buy it, but you are supposed to take delivery at an FFL in your state. I have no idea how the "contiguous states" or "border states" thing got started back in the 90s' but it persists to this day. Based on my reading of the laws posted on the ATF website, I can find no reference to this "loophole" in transfering ownership just because your state shares a border with another.

Back
Top Bottom