• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying in state from an out of state resident

there’s no requirement in a private firearms transaction in the state of Georgia for neither the buyer nor the seller to receive any proof of state residency of either party.

ONLY requirement is that the seller asked three simple questions without receiving any visual proof (and receive an affirmative from the buyer, which could be a nod of the head, a thumbs up or a verbal yes)

Are you 18 years or older
Are you a Georgia resident.
Are you legally able to posess a firearm?

The buyer is not required to ask any question of the seller, in fact, buyer could be a deaf-mute.. and the state of Georgia requirements will have been met for a private firearms transaction

now personally, I’ll guarantee you this: if I’m selling a firearm in a private transaction in a Big Star parking lot.. if a buyer pulls up in a car with an out-of-state tag, I will NOT sell my firearm to that person unless I visually see his GA drivers license.
I never said there was any requirement to show proof of anything. And I am not talking about state laws anyway. I am stating what the federal law is. What you stated is the absolute truth and also it is why I wonder why so many on here require a "peek at your WCL" or DL when it is not necessary. The law actually states something along the lines of "you must have no reasonable suspicion" that the buyer cannot legally own the gun. Says nothing about asking for any proof.

I never said there was any requirement to show proof of anything. And I am not talking about state laws anyway. I am stating what the federal law is. What you stated is the absolute truth and also it is why I wonder why so many on here require a "peek at your WCL" or DL when it is not necessary. The law actually states something along the lines of "you must have no reasonable suspicion" that the buyer cannot legally own the gun. Says nothing about asking for any proof.
In my opinion, the 'peek at the WCL' is personal due diligence. Required or not it's something for me and that's all that counts. Most times after talking with the buyer for a few minutes I don't even really need to do the 'peek' because I'm satisfied I'm not selling a handgun to an Atlanta gang banger and the like.

In my opinion, the 'peek at the WCL' is personal due diligence. Required or not it's something for me and that's all that counts. Most times after talking with the buyer for a few minutes I don't even really need to do the 'peek' because I'm satisfied I'm not selling a handgun to an Atlanta gang banger and the like.
Exactly. Just use common sense. No other proof required.

Back
Top Bottom