• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying gun out of state?

vinhtvu2

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
I'll be in Florida for the holidays... I thought about going to Dicks down there to pick up the Troy AR-15 on black friday.

Do I have to have it shipped to a local FFL, then transfer it back to myself...? If that's the case, it would negate some of the savings and I might as well wait for someone to sell it on ODT.......?

Just curious as to what the law is for buying a gun out of state.

I know I cant buy gun from private sellers out of state and that would require going through an FFL... but I figure since Dick's is an FFL... should be good right?

I believe you have to be a resident....for handgun anyway, from personal exp.

just found this

Federal law says you can buy a long gun anywhere. As you stated and the idiot poster ignored, it's only handguns that require a state residency. States have their own laws. Like, some states say the dealer can only sell long rifles to state residents whose state borders theirs. I think Florida is one of them. I used internet dealers to buy two of mine. One shotgun and one pistol from a great east coast internet sites,. You only pay a FFL transfer fee of about $35 to a dealer near your home plus shipping and get good deals.

Last edited:
I've bought a gun at gunshows, and those Dealers are generally from out of state.

I bought a handgun at a gun show, from a dealer that's located in South Carolina (Before I had my GWL). Ran my background check, everything was good.

I guess that's different since it's in the state.

Back
Top Bottom