Bug out Bag... BAG? Guide/Walkthrough

In todays world anything could happen, keep backpacks packed with these essentials at the ready, In a safe place at home,in your car trunk?? Be prepared, Have a contigency plan, who gets the kids,where to meet if you cant make it home, A location to go, with extra supply's and shelter??
If you need more info, shoot me an email, I have some great information sources for you.

SOUND CRAZY?? Whats the harm in being prepared?? It could save you and your family;

Bug Out Bag Content Checklist
FOOD & WATER
•Minimum calories per person per day 3600.
•Method of water purification (such as potable aqua or a water filter)
•Minimum pouches of water per person 9
•Additional food & water
LIGHT SOURCES
•Flashlight with batteries
•Lantern and fuel
•Lightsticks
•Candles
•Road Flare(s)
COMMUNICATION
•Cell Phone
•Whistle with lanyard
•AM/FM Radio with batteries or alternate power source
A handheld Ham radio. , Camping walki talki's
Solar battery charger
TOOLS
•Pocket Knife
•50 Feet of Nylon Rope
•Foldable Shovel
•Rolls of Duct Tape
•Hatchet or axe
•Sewing Kit
HYGIENE & SANITATION
•Personal Hygiene Kit (Include soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, razor,
sanitary napkins, diapers, and other toiletry items)
•Tissue
•Toilet paper
•Portable Toilet and accessories
WARMTH & SHELTER
•Tent/Shelter
•Waterproof matches
•Alternate fire-starting method
•Solar Emergency Blanket or Emergency Sleeping Bag
•Hand & Body Warmers
•Poncho
•Hand & Body Warmers
•Lightweight Stove & Fuel•Wool Blanket
FIRST AID
•First Aid Booklet/Manual
•First Aid Kit and supplies
•Snake bite ki
•Burn gel and dressing
•Sun block
•Insect repellent
•Special medication
MONEY
•At least $20 in your kit - be sure to include change like quarters for phone
calls
IMPORTANT PAPERS
•Emergency Instructions
•Copies of documents such as marriage licenses, birth certificates, wills, phone
numbers, insurance forms, credit card infor, etc.
STRESS RELIEVERS
•Books, Games, desserts, hard candy, inspirational reading, small toys, paper &
pen, favorite security item for children
EXTRA CLOTHING
•A complete outfit of appropriate clothing; including extra underwear, socks,
hat, gloves and sturdy shoes.
And dont forget
Weapons and extra Ammo.

Last edited:
I use hiking packs for both of mine. the list above looks pretty thorough. the only thing i didn't see above is a couple of maps and a compass. you will need these if having to bug out and need to stay off the main roads. the other thing is getting in shape. it won't help to have a bug out bag if you can't hump that stuff for more than 30 mins. good luck, if you have any questions, ask away.

Good basic list. To warmth and shelter I would add additional tools/methods for making fire:

1. Flint and steel
2. Fire piston (easy to make - learned to make mine by watching a youtube video)
3. Fresnal lens/magnifying glass
4. Windproof lighter
5. Charcloth for use with 1,2,and 3 (easy to make)
6. Cotton balls and small tube of vaseline for starting fires in wet conditions.

Would also add a sharpening stone for the knife and sharpening round/file for the ax.

Last edited:
Good basic list. To warmth and shelter I would add additional tools/methods for making fire:

1. Flint and steel
2. Fire piston (easy to make - learned to make mine by watching a youtube video)
3. Fresnal lens/magnifying glass
4. Windproof lighter
5. Charcloth for use with 1,2,and 3 (easy to make)
6. Cotton balls and small tube of vaseline for starting fires in wet conditions.

Would also add a sharpening stone for the knife and sharpening round/file for the ax.

I keep all these in mine too. good stuff to have.

I use hiking packs for both of mine. the list above looks pretty thorough. the only thing i didn't see above is a couple of maps and a compass. you will need these if having to bug out and need to stay off the main roads. the other thing is getting in shape. it won't help to have a bug out bag if you can't hump that stuff for more than 30 mins. good luck, if you have any questions, ask away.

Being in shape is the least of my worries..., Any suggestions on brands? I was going to go check out the north face store this weekend

I live in a populated suburban area, my BOB doesnt have all that much. just basics. I want to be able to cover longer distances, move faster, and not look like im leaving for the appalachian trail.

I use one of these
http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-covrt-18-backpack.html

in it i have:

12x12 lightweight tarp (not one of the blue homedepot ones but one from a camping store.
lighter and matches
water purification tabs
metal cup/pot
MSR whisperlite stove (can run on unleaded gasoline if needed)
leatherman wave
hatchet
3 loaded glock 19 mags
100 extra rounds of ammo
10 rounds of 00 low recoil buck
10 rounds of slugs
spare boxers and socks
camo pants and shirt
fleece blanket
mirror
first aid kit
small amount of cash
300 feet of 550 cord
small gun cleaning kit
2 collapsible 2 liter water bladders
nalgene bottle
20 power bars
10 clif bars
instant coffee (cant live with out it)
wistle
surefire 6p with 4 extra batteries
a flashlight that you shake to power it, not very bright but doesnt need batteies and is plenty for most tasks.

this is in additino to what i carry everyday normally, I live in smyrna and my plan is to make it to my parents house about 30 miles away. this should be plenty to make it that far and i can cover 10 miles witht this set up in around 4.5 hours. this may not be the best set up but its what im comfortable with.

Being in shape should be a concern, especially if you have to Ruck 10 miles with GDAWG's list.
Heres another thread with good info on BOB.......http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?6720-Bug-Out-Bag-inventory-sugegstions&highlight=BOB

Not to be cocky or anything but I guarentee I am in better shape tgan 90 percebt of people on here. My personal time is the gym, I lift 3-4 days a week consistantly, run about 3.5 miles after each session. I plan meals, protein supplements, the whole 9 yards.

I got into body building about 2 years ago and never stopped. Like I said, not concerned about being in shape.

But, back to topic.

Is it common to make mutiple Bug out bags oe just 1? Are there any prebuilt ones I could order?

Back
Top Bottom