• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brunswick stew, pretty danged good!

But I like them all just about….I have only had a couple of peoples recipes that sucked over the years ! Lol
This has been my experience too.

Even if my grandmother put butter beans and corn in hers, she would ladle it into a hand crank grinder mounted to a table with a spout pointing back into the pot. I will nevah accept Brunswick stew with chunks of anything in it, LOL.

Tried making it the way my grandmother used to. It's delicious. I was working from 45+ year old memories, not measuring anything really, just adding until it looked and tasted right.

Smoked chicken thighs and smoked pork butt minced (about 6-8 cups total).
2 sweet and 1 large Spanish onion diced (sweated with 1/2 stick butter to begin)
Minced Garlic 3 cloves
13 Roma tomatoes blanched, peeled diced.
1 can Tomato sauce.
What'syersisters sauce, about 4 tablespoons.
White vinegar, about 2/3 cup.
Yellow mustard, good squirt.
Ketchup, two good squirts.
Salt and pepper to taste.
3 cups chicken broth (homemade).
YIELD: about 5 quarts.

NO: Corn, Potatoes, Okra, Butterbeans, Green Beans, Sweet Peas or Carrots to float around like it's some type of jacked up vegetable soup.

I realize I'm starting something with that last statement.
View attachment 5675452
What'syersisters sauce,??? (don't make me guess, please).

Across the Chattahoochee into another world called Phenix City… there is a little hole in the wall called Hog Rock BBQ.

The BBQ is not all that great but their Brunswick Stew is great! No beans or chunks… just a good thick broth with shredded pork and chicken. I get a large bowl and put it over a smoked potato!

What'syersisters sauce,??? (don't make me guess, please).

4F4D4833-D553-4138-87A0-D259439234D9.jpeg

Tried making it the way my grandmother used to. It's delicious. I was working from 45+ year old memories, not measuring anything really, just adding until it looked and tasted right.

2 sweet and 1 large Spanish onion diced (sweated with 1/2 stick butter to begin)
Minced Garlic 3 cloves
1 can Tomato sauce.

NO: Corn, Potatoes, Okra, Butterbeans, Green Beans, Sweet Peas or Carrots to float around like it's some type of jacked up vegetable soup.

View attachment 5675452
My dad would make something similar every year. Started out as hash,morphed into a mull and usually got some weird nickname like gumbowla. He would put whatever he could get his hands on, Chicken,pork,rabbits,corn,tomatoes,vinegar and he would slow cook it outside in a large black pot over an open fire. I swear people all over the neighborhood would start showing up just from the smell.

Minced Garlic 3 cloves
1 can Tomato sauce.

View attachment 5675452
My stepfather's specialties were Brunswick Stew and Pimento Cheese. But as I know YOU know that stew is an all day job. So he gave up making it years ago.
Here's my shortcut trick. In fact I did this just last weekend. On Friday afternoon I stopped by GA Bob's BBQ here in Perry and got the big container of pulled pork. Then I headed over to Kroger and got 3 cans of Castlebury's Brummick stew and headed for the house. I have to get 3 cans or else I won't get any. My wife and youngun tear that **** up. Anyway it's not the best I ever had but it IS better than the stew at GA Bob's and Fincher's.

Minced Garlic 3 cloves
1 can Tomato sauce.

View attachment 5675452
You had me at “home made” chicken broth. Nothing like simmering bird bones all day and night in a crock pot to have some good juice for pot pies and such

Back in the 70’s early 80’s there was Blackstock’s Barbecue Barn just outside of Lawrenceville. He was only open three days a week. Thursday,Friday and Saturday. When you ordered a bar-b-cue plate it came out with a big helping of chopped inside and outside pork, tater chips, loaf bread and Brunswick stew. The stew was ladled over the tater chips and the loaf bread was laying on top. Some of the best eating I ever had.
He was cooking inside using a brick fire pit that was probably old as the building.

Back
Top Bottom