• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Broken screw removal

shootsacanon

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
127   0
Reaction score
What’s the best way to extract a broken grip screw from a Beretta 21A?

I picked this one up knowing that it had the broken screw. Turns out the other grip screw was bent pretty good, but I got it out in one piece, & surprisingly those frame threads are in good shape.

The broken screw is pretty well flush with the frame, with just a tiny bit above flush (not enough to grab onto). Apparently these are an M3 size screw.

IMG_3874.jpeg

IMG_3873.jpeg

The best thing that I have found is to use a left hand drill bit. I do it in a mill but a drill press would work as long as it has a reverse. You need to make sure that you’re in the exact center of screw. Start with very small bit and progress up a little at a time. Most of time it will grab and spin screw out. I’m in Suwanee if your close I should be able to help you with that. PM me if I can help.

Adding some heat when you try to extract will help. Especially if someone put loctite on the threads.

I have used a soldering iron before, for precise heat at the center

I used a soldering iron to get that bent one moving after a good soak in penetrating oil. Good tip!

The best thing that I have found is to use a left hand drill bit. I do it in a mill but a drill press would work as long as it has a reverse. You need to make sure that you’re in the exact center of screw. Start with very small bit and progress up a little at a time. Most of time it will grab and spin screw out. I’m in Suwanee if your close I should be able to help you with that. PM me if I can help.
Great tip, & thank you for the offer! I’m over that way from time to time, but TruPrep is closer, so I think I’ll take it to Shep. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom