• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Blade chat

How do you know when a knife is high quality?

Depends how you rate quality really. I prefer a good workable steel, like a 01 carbon steel but some like others. I tend to rate knives on value because I could but a Rockstead $800 knife but to me thats not a knife i would ever use. I set a price range for a new blade and search around for my need and find the best one I can for that.

How do you know when a knife is high quality?

The only real way to know is to use it. If the knife is sturdy, does not break even if given a beating, holds a razor edge for a long time, and is easy to re-sharpen, then that to me is a quality knife. Price is usually associated with Quality - however there are excellent knives out there that are reasonably priced.

A few manufacturers that make excellent high quality knives are Mora of Sweden, Cold Steel, CRKT, Spyderco, and ESEE. Some of their blades could be considered downright inexpensive for what you get (i.e. Spyderco Tenacious, and some Mora's).

In my world a good everyday use knife should not exceed $50-$100.

Season's Greetings,
Rob

The wife surprised me with Kershaw Leek for Christmas. I really like it.

K1660CKT-2.jpg

1660CKT - Leek from Kershaw and Ken Onion, Tungsten DLC Coated Handle, Black Plain Edge Blade

The all black Leek knife by Kershaw and Ken Onion features a plain edged blade and several excellent safety features. After all, having a knife is a necessity but that doesn't mean you can’t feel comfortable having it around and with this Leek blade you’ll be very happy indeed. This particular black Leek knife is just one of the many optional styles of Leek knife that are available from Kershaw.

The flat matte black surface is a result of the tungsten DLC coated handle. The metal handle underneath is composed of 410 stainless steel. This Leek blade is composed of Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel. Both are strong and provide long term rust resistance.

You’ll also receive a convenient 180 degree reversible pocket clip and the handle of the Leek is drilled for tip up and tip down carry in the clip.

In addition there is a frame lock to lock the Leek blade into position when it is fully opened. Release the blade easily by pressing the spring loaded lock. It also features a Tip Safety Lock so that the Leek won’t accidentally deploy in your pocket clip.

Reversible Clip
The Leek handles are drilled for both tip-up and tip-down clip carry. The clip can be rotated 180º .

Frame Lock
Locks the blade into position after the blade is deployed. To release the frame lock simply press the spring loaded lock and the blade will easily fold back into the handle.

Tip Safety Lock
The tip lock available on many of the Ken Onion SpeedSafe models provides added security to assure that the blade will not deploy while clipped into your pocket.

Kershaw Leek Specifications:
•Model Number: 1660CKT
•SpeedSafe....Yes
•Flipper....Yes
•Safety Lock....Yes
•Country Of Origin: United States
•Steel......Sandvik 14C28N stainless-steel
•Handle...410 stainless-steel tungsten DLC coated
•Blade.....3 in. (7.5 cm)
•Closed...4 in. (10.3 cm)
•Weight...3.1 oz.
•Lock...Frame Lock
•Includes a Reversible Pocket Clip

The Knife Features:

SpeedSafe® is the patented, assisted opening mechanism pioneered by Kershaw that makes it fast and easy to open a knife one-handed. SpeedSafe also makes it possible for Kershaw to ensure that even a large blade can move out of the handle just as smoothly and easily as a smaller one. Plus, many of their assisted folders are ambidextrous-and open with a flipper or a thumbstud on both sides of the blade-so they’re just as easy to use left-handed or right. To open a SpeedSafe knife, the user must apply manual pressure to overcome the resistance of the torsion bar. This means that SpeedSafe knives do not meet the definition of a switchblade; they do not deploy with the push of a button or by gravity alone. Once open, the blade locks safely into position until the user releases it.

Don't know what you guys are paying for these ESEE/RAT knives, but you can buy 1/4 inch x 1 1/2 inch x 6 FT of flat stock 1095 HR for $25. That's enough steel for at least six badass blades. That's less than five dollars a blade, plus a little work. I would use 3/16ths, which would be cheaper, or much cheaper if you forged the whole thing out of drill rod or spring steel that you received FREE from your buddy in the car business. Think about it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom