• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Blade chat

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
A quality blade in a survival situation is very important. As most of us know, gun nuts and blade nuts go hand and hand!. I am a very big fan of Ontario, Becker and SOG knives and tomahawks. However, I just picked up a shiny new KA-BAR from Don at truprep in Marietta. It's the US Army model with the stacked leather handle. I'm very pleased with this addition to the blade pile

What are some of your favorite blades?

Tru Prep rocks! I like the Condor blades that they are carrying now. Made in Ecuador with 1075 steel and pretty inexpensive.

I'm kind of an ESEE junkie! I carry an Esee 4 and Candiru everyday. My wife has an Izula and I have a Laser Strike on my Camelbak pack. Esee knives are nearly indestructible and carry a no questions lifetime warranty.

Also, if you get the chance, go to the Blade Show next year. There are many custom knifemakers there. I got my first custom at the show this year, a Jonathan McNees PSK.
http://mcneescustomknives.com/

best for the money is Morakniv. Made in Sweden and great blades for the practical buyer. High carbon blades with a "scandi," grind...ie...easier to sharpen. BUT they are seriously just for use and abuse not collecting...

I had a K-bar for years and it's one of my favorite knives. Good all around knife. I chopped down small trees, split wood and could have fought with it.

I bought a Spec Plus SP5 10" bowie and had it for over ten years. It was stout, I could pry with it, chop with it and more. I broke it doing something stupid (don't pommel with a steel shovel- resonance broke the blade. It had been run over by and truck and still functions fine for years after.)

Now I have a Ontario RAT7. It's o.k. Grip sucks, but it chops good and is tough enough.

and my bigger dollar knife is a Blackjack Model 5 in A2 tool steel with a stag grip. It's pretty and ain't for chopping.

I also, really like cold steel tomahawks. I've got a few that I've really put through the ringer. Generally, I'm iffy about cold steel stuff, but some of their stuff like the cheap kuhkri machetes are decent for the money

I've carried Cold Steel Stiletto and Scimitar folders for almost 10 years. Hard to beat them, haven't killed them, and as an EMT, I have tested them in the field to my satisfaction. I love Cold Steel Machetes and tomahawks too. But I have had a Ka-Bar since I was about 11, and I feel no reason to upgrade. I'll skin my deer with it this year, and if I bug out, it's coming. I tend to use what I have until it fails. I have never sold a knife, and the only gun that I sold was to my brother. If I did have to replace the Ka-Bar, it likely would be with something from Cold Steel. For the money, they are tough, and they have movies to watch that show the blades in action. The other guys should market better, if their stuff is that good. I want to see dudes stab through a Chevy hood, then make fine cuts with no sharpening, like Cold Steel does.

I use an Arthur Wright bushcraft knife. Its basically a good copy / rip off of the time tested Ray Mears Woodlore blade. If its enough for people to survive in the woods with this alone, its good enough for me. Expensive over here in the USA but not as priceless as knowledge and practice.

Back
Top Bottom