• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bitter sweet day as my oldest leaves for Alaska

My 19 yr old son left this afternoon to fulfil a dream that I'm sure most of us on this site have. He will be a fishing guide on the Kenai Peninsula in Cooper Landing, Alaska.

I could not be happier for him! I have been excited and couldn't wait for the day that he left so he could begin his adventure.

And then the day came.....and I realize as happy as I am for him, the little boy that has been my fishing buddy since he was 2 is gone. He has always been a good boy and has grown into a fine young man. I know this is a great way for him to figure himself out. I look forward to living vicariously through his adventures.

I will post pictures of the fish he catches on the fishing thread that I started with him.
I'm happy for him too but I have a question. How does one become a fishing guide in a place as remote as Alaska with no experience fishing in Alaska?

My 19 yr old son left this afternoon to fulfil a dream that I'm sure most of us on this site have. He will be a fishing guide on the Kenai Peninsula in Cooper Landing, Alaska.

I could not be happier for him! I have been excited and couldn't wait for the day that he left so he could begin his adventure.

And then the day came.....and I realize as happy as I am for him, the little boy that has been my fishing buddy since he was 2 is gone. He has always been a good boy and has grown into a fine young man. I know this is a great way for him to figure himself out. I look forward to living vicariously through his adventures.

I will post pictures of the fish he catches on the fishing thread that I started with him.

Congratulations and it definitely is bittersweet. I don’t ever want them to leave, but we have to let them find themselves.

I'm happy for him too but I have a question. How does one become a fishing guide in a place as remote as Alaska with no experience fishing in Alaska?

He was working at Cabelas in Acworth while in high school. He got to know a couple guys that were coming in and buying stuff that told him about it. The outfitter hired him because of his retail experience and because he could rig a fly rod and reel and tie flies. He would go with the guides to help outthe first couple years.

Last year he stayed after the season was closed and got all of his certifications. So this year, he is a certified guide.

He is starting his 5th year. This is the 1st client of this season. He got his 6 pack captains license last year. He wants to get his pilots license in the next couple years.

26872.jpeg
26873.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom