• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bitter sweet day as my oldest leaves for Alaska

Anchorage doesn’t get subzero much and if it does it doesn’t last. It’ll be 21 today. Most people think of Alaska as totally frozen, but even on the north slope 750 miles north of anchorage where I work it’s mid 50s-60s in summer. Winter? Yeah it sucks bad but anchorage not so bad
I'm an Alaskan Native ..........Brother said 3" blanket of snow yesterday at 0 deg he is not in Anchorage

Even with the snow it’s not that bad in anchorage. It’s still better than a Chicago winter. I fly up once a month to work a rotational job on the slope. It’s just brutal up there.

I can’t imagine what it’s like where you work! That is some serious weather conditions.

That’s where I work currently. It was -55 ambient-87 wind chill last winter a couple days . View attachment 2897483 We moved rig 26 onto alpine this past winter. 7 modules each pushing 1,00,000 lbs. it’s the largest oil rig in North America. Over 9 million pounds .
Green mile still there?
Alpine has a lot of promise, glad to see them expanding it. IIRC they had just one module when I was there.

Green mile still there?
Alpine has a lot of promise, glad to see them expanding it. IIRC they had just one module when I was there.
Alpine runs between 450 in the summer and 3500-4000 people in the ice roads. There’s cd1 opscenter/housing, cd2,cd3,cd4,cd5 mt6,mt7 and a support center on field now. They put in a road to nuiqsit, so there’s plenty of drunks out riding around . Ice roads go another 30 miles out west

Yep. He's the fly shop manager now and he takes clients on hike in trips. He likes a glacial lake with a stream that runs out of it that is 6 or 7 miles in the back country.
He’s living a dream for sure. One of the guys I work with owns a lodge and fishing charter up in talkeetna. If y’all ever get up that way you should check it out. After a day of fishing it’s nice to drink a scotch on his deck in the hot tub watching the sun set on Denali. It’s called talkeetna Denali view lodge

This is my son's 3rd year. He stayed for 2 months after the season last year and took his tests to become a full blown guide.

this year when he got to Anchorage, the outfitter he works for paid for this plane to take him from there to Cooper Landing.

If anyone is interested in catching salmon and trophy rainbows, pm me and I will give you his contact info.
10860.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom