• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best Way to Get Rid of Coyotes

Get fish oil from a fish fry and dip like 20 sponges in it make it where the whole sponge is just filled with the fish oil and go put them everywhere and the coyotes will eat them and there digestive system can't handle the sponge so it kills them slow and painfully

Just had to post that didn't you? smooth move exlax

Im game! Get them to shoot you an email, stating the regs on Private land

:D
DB,
There is no difference in regs on private vs public lands for coyotes (or any other animals for that matter). "Some" public lands have limited seasons or regulate weapons for different species (including yotes) and you don't need a hunting license to hunt your own land (but still need certain things like harvest regs, federal duck stamp, hip stamp, trapping licenses, etc).
Coyotes are not game animals and are specifically defined as 'wildlife'. Feral hogs are not codified as 'wildlife' and hence are specifically called out.

§ 27-2-1. Hunting, trapping, or fishing without license or permit generally; nonresidents

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt, fish, trap, or possess any wildlife or feral hog without first procuring all of the licenses, stamps, or permits required or authorized under this title.

Man this thread is full of fail. The only good coyote is a dead coyote, but you do not indiscriminately put out poison bait or hooks. No animal should have to suffer like that.

Regarding trapping you need a license/permit to trap coyote. It is free if you are doing it on your own land, and you pay if it is not on your property. You can trap yearlong for coyote because they are considered non-native. There has been some good advice on hunting coyote in this thread such as getting downwind, even though they will circle. The one item I did not see mentioned was hunting over bait (dead not live which is illegal). I would not use bait for any other animal except coyote, but there is an old saying..Hunt deer during the day and the gut pile from your kill at night. Hunting coyote is fun because they are a challenge, but you will not get them under control by hunting. The only way to keep them under control is trapping. If you do decide to hunt, try it at night. And if you do not have night vision, try a red flashlight.

Last edited:
Man this thread is full of fail. The only good coyote is a dead coyote, but you do not indiscriminately put out poison bait or hooks. No animal should have to suffer like that.

Regarding trapping you need a license/permit to trap coyote. It is free if you are doing it on your own land, and you pay if it is not on your property. You can trap yearlong for coyote because they are considered non-native. There has been some good advice on hunting coyote in this thread such as getting downwind, even though they will circle. The one item I did not see mentioned was hunting over bait (dead not live which is illegal). I would not use bait for any other animal except coyote, but there is an old saying..Hunt deer during the day and the gut pile from your kill at night. Hunting coyote is fun because they are a challenge, but you will not get them under control by hunting. The only way to keep them under control is trapping. If you do decide to hunt, try it at night. And if you do not have night vision, try a red flashlight.
Yep. In case it's not clear, that's a big 'yep'.

Im game for that too buddy! PM me and we will set something up..hell I'd prob throw you a brick of .22LR just for the conversation during work
OK, I 'should' take that brick just for the aggravation of getting through the myriad of phone transfers this morning! :p ;) (but I won't).
I called HQ.... and spoke with Jean... who told me to call Gainesville (770-535-5499). Taylor answered and transferred me to game management where I got disconnected. I finally spoke with Scott Fraiser. Scott is a biologist (unfortunately, vs an agent) and it's a bit of running 'thing' within DNR that you'll get a different answer from biologists than agents (who are out there enforcing the laws). In any case Scott suggested "you can do anything to coyotes (and beavers)".... I said "including baiting hooks and poisoning?" He then got very tentative and began searching the code. I pointed him to the above referenced code and he said "Well you are right, it's illegal to bait hooks." He also agreed that there is no legal way to poison a coyote (since you can't restrict the poison to a coyote or keep something from eating a poisoned carcass) and mentioned the big case 10 years or so ago in south GA of the person poisoning eggs for coyotes. Then I asked about whether or not you needed a trapping license for coyotes. He attempted to equate them with beavers (which is incorrect but I didn't stop him) and he said you do need a trapping a license on public lands or on private lands of others. But that if you wanted to trap them on your own land for yourself, you do not need a license. I believe that to be a disputed item to say the least but since he's a biologist and not LE I didn't press it with him.
I can have an actual LE call you if you'd like but I think Scott eventually agreed with what the LE is likely to tell you (although the LE is likely to be less wishy washy about the poisoning and 'perhaps' more decisive about needing license on your own land, unless you are under 16 which is a whole other ball of wax. :)).

PM sent and received, let's go get 'em! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom