• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best way to do cheap paint job on a race bike?

Cans of rust-oleum is the only way a friend of mine paints his vehicles. They actually turn out quite well. Just depends on how much elbow grease you want to put in it as to how well you want it to look. I've seen him go from a mate finish for like a truck to show quality. Yes he has a show truck he takes to car shows. He painted a RX-7 for his son that was magnificent

Never heard of that before. Got a link to a write-up

Not any write-ups stand out in particular but a google search yeilds 100's of links. I learned by trial and error and worked at the shops back in the day. The issue lies with the factory location of the rectifier right behind the exhaust header, once it overheats and pops it takes the stator with it which can lead to frying the ecu and your harness due to unregulated voltage.

This is one of the last ones I had done before I retired from sport bikes. Ended up melting the pigtails in the harness aswell as what you see.
20170621_170455_HDR.jpg

This is one of the last ones I had done before I retired from sport bikes. Ended up melting the pigtails in the harness aswell as what you see.View attachment 3746178

Is that only a problem with the stock exhaust? It has a full Leo Vince race exhaust if that makes any difference.

I really appreciate the tip. I definitely don't want to be messing with that at the track. Where do you move it to? Do you have to cut any wires?

If you wet down every thing around the bike just before painting there will be less dust in the air, so less trash in the paint.

If you wet down every thing around the bike just before painting there will be less dust in the air, so less trash in the paint.
A friends dad would always wait until first thing in the morning to paint. Always said the moisture kept the dust down and if you did it at night there was more of a chance of bugs.

Is that only a problem with the stock exhaust? It has a full Leo Vince race exhaust if that makes any difference.

I really appreciate the tip. I definitely don't want to be messing with that at the track. Where do you move it to? Do you have to cut any wires?
No, 95% of the bikes I had done the mod to were full exhaust as well. It's just 3 bolts and it's sandwiched between your motor and and your exhaust header. Easiest way to do the relocation is mount it on frame but if you want a clean look and don't want to risk damaging it in a lay down then I recommend moving it to the airbox so it will stay cool.
20170616_161313_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom