• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best way to do cheap paint job on a race bike?

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
I picked up a new track toy last weekend, a Suzuki GSX-R 600. It has been fully stripped down and prepped for racing. It has aftermarket body work on it that the previous owner painted flat black. I'd like to paint it the same color blue as the original paint that is still on the tank. What is the best way to do this in my garage? I thought I'd sand it down, primer it, lay down a few color coats, and top it off with a coat of clear.

I'd like to do all of that with rattle cans in an afternoon if I could. It doesn't have to be perfect because it's a race bike and there is a good chance that it will wind up sliding down the pavement at the track at some point. Any ideas on the best kind of paint to use for this and where I can get it? AutoZone only had one or two small cans of duplicolor enamel and I think I would need at least three big cans to cover the entire bike with two coats. Here's a picture of the color that I'm looking for. (which is actually two different colors of blue for some reason. I'd like to go with the lighter color on the rear half of the tank)

20211202_074751.jpg

I had a Kawasaki Zephyr that was a similar color. I removed the tank, sanded it down, sat it on a horizontal 4x4 post and painted it. I laid down a couple of coats of base and then eventually a coat of clear. It was fun and pretty good for a buzz can job. Alternatively flat black is easy

I had a Kawasaki Zephyr that was a similar color. I removed the tank, sanded it down, sat it on a horizontal 4x4 post and painted it. I laid down a couple of coats of base and then eventually a coat of clear. It was fun and pretty good for a buzz can job. Alternatively flat black is easy

Do you remember what kind of paint you used and where you got it?

Lots of hand sanding. Start out with a rougher grit for all imperfections that will stand out and slowly make your way to fine ( I find that i got a better finish when i switch directions everytime i step up in grit), some good etching primer for greater bond on plastic/ abs, and sherman williams will typically paint match factory paint colors/codes at the store just try to lay multiple light coats till your pleased and finish with a good clear to protect your work. Being that it is a track bike i'd skip the wet sanding and just hit it with some polish or wax.

Lots of hand sanding. Start out with a rougher grit for all imperfections that will stand out and slowly make your way to fine ( I find that i got a better finish when i switch directions everytime i step up in grit), some good etching primer for greater bond on plastic/ abs, and sherman williams will typically paint match factory paint colors/codes at the store just try to lay multiple light coats till your pleased and finish with a good clear to protect your work. Being that it is a track bike i'd skip the wet sanding and just hit it with some polish or wax.

Do they have that paint in rattle cans? I don't have an HVLP gun or a compressor

Back
Top Bottom