• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best fun in the twisties for $10k.... let's hear it.

You likely had the new and improved model. This engine is the VG30E, and I think it was used in the Maxima up to 93-94.

Edit - the 95 model had the new VQ30DE with 190hp.
Yep, we had a '96. Funny to me now that when that car was new it felt like an absolute ROCKET. Surely they have changed how they rate HP over the years....

Yep, we had a '96. Funny to me now that when that car was new it felt like an absolute ROCKET. Surely they have changed how they rate HP over the years....

Yep, those were the good models, back when you could get good power and a manual transmission. A solid GT car. The current version is overweight and numb by comparison.

Last edited:
Well I had a 93 Miata back in 04-05. It cured me off of little bitty cars. There wasn't enough room behind the seats for a tennis racket. And the battery was in the trunk. It was so cramped that the speakers were in the headrests like in Fieros. And you could throw it out there on I75 in 5th gear and feel like you were going fast for a minute. But then a Kenworth would run buy you like you were sitting still AND blow you over one lane.

Crazy uncle Vernon owes me a 91 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo for listing/selling his old cars. I'm looking forward to that. They aren't much bigger than a Miata but they do have somewhat of a back seat. In a perfect world I'd go back to 1989 and buy/store a Lebaron convertible like I drove when I was 18. Yeah, they may suck mechanically but they're cool. And in the not too distant yall will see one sell for $50K on Barrett Jackson.

But the OP is asking about twistys

The roads I suspect he wants to run are Crooked anough that you need handling much more than HP

A supercharged miata or Fiero is as good as it gets on a twisty mountain road

A fiero with a v8 or a supercharged Buick 3.8 is very fun

Last edited:
If you can find an older one an Evo or STI would be more than you could ask for in the twisty bits. I can almost guarantee you will let off the throttle before you ever come close to the potential of those two. Miata is also a good choice considering the amount you will have left over for mods. The FD RX7 would also be great but good luck on that budget.

We just sold an 84 Indy Pace Car Edition Fiero in the spring. I was glad to be rid of it. Yes, they're fun to drive but they're a ***** getting in and out of and I'm only 5'7". The Miata wasn't so bad when the top was down. You could grab the top of the windshield and pull up.

I have seen Fieros with the supercharged 3800 from a Riviera stuck in the back. Seems like fun. But if I'm gonna die in a mid/rear engine car it better be a Pantera or a Porsche.
Good point. I'm 6'0" if that rules anything out for some of you with first hand experiences.

Back
Top Bottom