• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Day of Fishing In Our Lives

CardsFan

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
0   0
Reaction score
Last weekend, I assisted an old friend (Cy Crajcar) in transitioning a basic web site I had created many years ago for his fishing guide service to a new hosting site. I don't have the time these days to maintain his web site, and passed it off to a young guy who does. :) In that process, I stumbled across an old video I shot, probably around 2007, of a trip up a Georgia river in pursuit of a trophy Striped Bass with Captain Cy.

We had joined, at that time, the Coosa Basin Striper Club, where the main intent was to fight the city of Rome, GA from building a dam below Rome which would have killed the Striper fishery in that entire basin. Rome eventually gave up the idea of building a dam, but the club went on for a few years, and we fished with several members who taught us how to target big Stripers and Catfish.

My wife and I bought a jet boat around 2006. My first time out on the Chattooga River (in western GA, not the same named river on the eastern side of the state), I managed to put it onto a sandbar. :) It took me over an hour with a come-a-long to winch it back into the "river". So I was still pretty green on driving a very heavily armored jet boat in close quarters.

Not long after, we took a trip with a CBSC club member and friend Cy Grajcar, who still manages Extreme Stripers Guide Service. Since he was an experienced jet boat driver, I made the command decision to let him drive. :)

The river we fished is a boat killer (even heavily reinforced jet boats), so my decision was easy.

It was the best day of fishing my wife and I have ever experienced in our lives. Up to the point where where I started filming, the three of us had caught Stripers one after another, many of which were in the teens. I had biggest Striper of the day at 23 pounds (weighed on digital scales).

Up to that point.

Please don't ask which river. I caught a large amount of crap from other guides for divulging that river back in the day :)
But it's a river you need a jet (and experience) to get up anyway.

Cy ended up beating me with a 36'ish pound Striper. I was a bit bumbed, but it was the biggest Striper I had ever seen in person. It was much bigger than it appears on the video.

And sorry, that was at the time when high quality HD video cameras were well beyond my disposable income. :)

If you're not interested in the jet boating segment, skip to 4:06 into the video. This is just a fragement of Stripers we caught that day, but it shows the biggest fish of the day.

By the way, if you are wondering why we added 1 pound to fish weighed on Boga Grips, it was because I had already verified on digital scales it was 1 pound shy of actual weight. Yes, seriously.

Back
Top Bottom