• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best advice to remove rust from inside barrel?

I use a chamber brush from brownells called a flex hone with flex hone oil and electric drill to clean out rust and polish chamber ! Works great about 5 minutes and good as new! I’ve cleaned up a lot of chambers for folks over years !

Best thing to do is start out with a stainless barrel to begine with. All joking aside, use a 1!size under bore brush. Wrap.just enough of a patch to touch each side to the other. That way there are high or low spots in the swab. Dip the brush in a mild abrasive and run the rod back and forth through the barrel a few times. Rinse and repeat..
You will have the course brass punching through the patch and the mild abrasive to initially clean but then polish after you have removed enough rust where the metal shows substantially when light is seen through the barrel.
Just to clarify brush selection. You want the brush to require a good amount of force to get good cleaning action. Not so much it's bending the cleaning for but enough to give it some nice. You also may start of with some Hoppes#9 cleaning solution. That stuff seems to really soften up rust and strip it away. Do this as many times as it takes to start getting cleaner patches.

In have never let me barrel get that rusty. Just a smidgen of critical advise here. Routine maintenance is far easier than trying to repair something that is done enough to remove all the rust is going effect barrel.tollersnces.

I
If ypu are having to use stainless scrub pads, drills and such with polishing compound, your barrel is gone. Don't waste the effort of smoothing the grooves
I was nust getting ready to say something to that effect and got to your post. When he said he pulled out the brass and there was wet rust on it. After I red that I thought " Time to visit Buds Gun Shop ".

Bronze brush wrapped with some 0000 steel wool dipped in marvel mystery oil .

Douche it out good ! Bolt oftoo !
Douche it out! LOL It it just a light surface rust that formed over a heavy dew morning the these types of methods will probably hit the spot. If it's rust from months or years of neglect then it's a lost cause. It will still shoot but accurray and consistentsy is shot. No pun intended.

Douche it out! LOL It it just a light surface rust that formed over a heavy dew morning the these types of methods will probably hit the spot. If it's rust from months or years of neglect then it's a lost cause. It will still shoot but accurray and consistentsy is shot. No pun intended.

Might be a good idea to not leave it out in the deerstand all week too ....lol

Back
Top Bottom