• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Backpack <Survival> Help

OK Jbum...I'll bite.

Sure they're great for smurfs and internet rangers.
Comfort and proper weight distribution were not considerations in ALICE pack design.
Unless you are 5'4" tall.

Check Backpacker magazine, then go try some on.
Proper fit to your torso length is crucial, so the belt hits your hips to take the load off your shoulders (and back).

Next check that the belt and shoulder straps have good padding.

I have an external frame pack designed by Sportsman's Guide. It's big, light and well organized.
But most people want internal frames for no good reason.

I am not the tallest guy nor am I blue (at the moment) so for this internet ranger, they seem to work well for me. I have changed the straps BTW and it wears well for me.

I love the ALICE pack, prefer it over the ILBE. If you know how to pack it then you shouldn't have any issues. There are better packs out there though. Like VC94 said, look through some hiking magazines and see what the experts have to say about it. Make sure that whatever you pick has good padding and a padded belt to take the weight off your shoulders.

i have a 5.11 tactical rush 72 hr bag plenty storage space.
This guy knows whats up! I have a medium and a large ALICE pack as well as the Rush 12 hour and 72 hour and man I have to say that 72 hour is greaaat! Hip strap/padding sits super comfortably and really helps take the weight off my back and shoulders. The aluminum 'spine' if you will with the extra plastic piece that sits against your back in there both form to your back so you get a constant feel of uniformity and comfort on your back really just take the cake for me. My Rush 72 weighs in around 62lbs fully loaded right now and it doesnt bother me much. Plus 5.11 has great discounts. I did a quick google search and got 20% off and free shipping...

The best way to get a great back pack!

A. Befriend someone who is Military.
B. Its time for them to turn their backpack in.
C. Find a POS backpack at Army Surplus.
D.You keep the decent backpack and your friend turns in the POS backpack.
I've a like new backpack for 20.00.

OK Jbum...I'll bite.

Sure they're great for smurfs and internet rangers.
Comfort and proper weight distribution were not considerations in ALICE pack design.
Unless you are 5'4" tall.

Check Backpacker magazine, then go try some on.
Proper fit to your torso length is crucial, so the belt hits your hips to take the load off your shoulders (and back).

Next check that the belt and shoulder straps have good padding.

I have an external frame pack designed by Sportsman's Guide. It's big, light and well organized.
But most people want internal frames for no good reason.

I agree on the Alice Packs. there's a reason why Vietnam vets forced VC's to hump their alice packs at gunpoint. B/C they weren't built for comfort or great load distribution.
I use a Condor 3 day assault pack, but I try to pack as light as possible. there are a ton of packs out there.

Back
Top Bottom