• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Backpack <Survival> Help

Not sure if you've already made a purchase... BUT. If you're wanting to go backpacking or hiking, I'd suggest an Osprey pack. They're a little on the upper end in terms of price but they are GREAT backpacks and sometimes you can find really stellar deals. I have a large backpack for weekend trips and a daypack for anything else. Lifetime warranty and they both hold the Osprey universal water bladders. Their daypacks also have hip belts so it helps take the load off your back and shoulders. I don't know how well it'd work for hunting or anything other than hanging out in the woods, but I will probably never buy anything other than an Osprey.

Having an approximate budget would be helpful as there is a very wide range of pricing & quality.

My personal preference is (on sale) Maxpeditions for "Go bags" 1st choice & 511 or Eagle Creek as 2nd choice.
For hiking I still prefer my Dana Design (now known as Mystery Ranch) but have had trail companions/friends very happy with Osprey, Kelty, & Lowe Alpine.
I've had really good reports on REI gear also.

There are some very good deals on packs to be had on Ebay & Craigslist. Amazon, Campmor & Sierra Trading Post are some good online sites to check pricing.

REI Outlet also has good deals come through. Their Deal of the Day is usually STELLAR in that regard! I got my Osprey backpack (Ariel 55L) that way. $260 retail and I got my pack for $120. I got my Osprey daypack (Stratos 36) on eBay for $60 and it usually retails for around $200. eBay is great but you have to be patient with it. I got boyfriend the same Osprey daypack for Christmas this year (b/c he kept threatening to steal mine - not even an option lol) from Sierra Trading Post for a $110ish? Gregory also makes great packs but I will always go with Osprey. I honestly don't know much about any other packs. Usually have great loading/storage features. Their hip belts can also be heat-molded to fit to your hips to make it more comfortable and easier to carry. I'd also check out Backcountry Outlet/Department of Goods in addition to the other sites mentioned above. You can also check out GearTrade.com as those are camping/outdoor items being sold by individuals (condition varies) and you can find some steals there too. Hope all of this helps!

Believe it or not walmart carries a great line of cheap packs. Fieldline. I believe its walmart's brand not sure, but they make great packs. I buy a new one every year when the new design comes out, but I still have and use the old ones and I abuse them hunting etc... they hold up great! I would however steer clear of the awesome badass one that has pouches everywhere, its the ultimate pack for organization but comes at a very HEAVY price. and by that I mean that sucker is heavy just by itself.

I love my Gregory Baltoro 60 pack, 60l pack, Can fit whatever I need for probably a good week of backpacking(with proper water sources along the way) if I packed smart. Probably the most comfortable pack I've ever owned, but was kind of pricey(if 300$ is pricey in the backpacking world?) but it's strictly for backpacking/hiking..not a super tacticool-pack.

If you want a great tactical pack, go Mystery Ranch. Expensive as well, but are damn tanks in terms of how robust they are!

I love my large malice pack...(not alice ...malice...look it up) but since I'm 6"7" the standard frames don't fit me I had to go with a custom ARUC frame

Back
Top Bottom