• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Astronomers Catch Mysterious Radio Blast From the Distant Universe

Just watched it. WOW! Great documentary and very interesting. I sure hope they find more particles when they can operate at full power. The idea that the weight of the Higgs means it's unstable without the discovery of more particles is disturbing to say the least. It would mean that it could completely destabilize randomly at any monument and matter would simply cease to exist. On the other hand, it may already be happening on relatively small scales (compared to the entire universe) and we just haven't observed it. What would that even look like? Perhaps that is the explanation of what creates a black hole. They say that time, space and matter completely break down in one. :noidea:

I don't understand why they take the approach that it must be either the multiverse or supersymmetry. The discovery that the weight of the Higgs falls directly between the expectation of each theory would seem to indicate they could both be true. Of course, I don't have anything close to the understanding that these people do, but couldn't supersymmetry bolster the Standard Model, which is an explanation of how physics works in OUR universe, without effecting the possibility that the natural laws of other universes are different? I wish they would have gone into more detail about that.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, terrifying right? At any moment we could cease to exist.....poof!

When all the possibilities of how, when, where and why make me think about fashioning a foil hat for myself I just watch the following. Maybe not scientifically correct as we gain more data about our universe (or multiverse) but still a fun video. I think it belongs in Area 51 - we all need a little levity now and then so enjoy. Oh, and thanks Monty Python.

http://dingo.care-mail.com/cards/flash/5409/galaxy.swf

Just watched it. WOW! Great documentary and very interesting. I sure hope they find more particles when they can operate at full power. The idea that the weight of the Higgs means it's unstable without the discovery of more particles is disturbing to say the least. It would mean that it could completely destabilize randomly at any monument and matter would simply cease to exist. On the other hand, it may already be happening on relatively small scales (compared to the entire universe) and we just haven't observed it. What would that even look like? Perhaps that is the explanation of what creates a black hole. They say that time, space and matter completely break down in one. :noidea:

I don't understand why they take the approach that it must be either the multiverse or supersymmetry. The discovery that the weight of the Higgs falls directly between the expectation of each theory would seem to indicate they could both be true. Of course, I don't have anything close to the understanding that these people do, but couldn't supersymmetry bolster the Standard Model, which is an explanation of how physics works in OUR universe, without effecting the possibility that the natural laws of other universes are different? I wish they would have gone into more detail about that.
We are just scratching the surface on this stuff....soooo much more out there to learn about.

Back
Top Bottom