• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Astronomers Catch Mysterious Radio Blast From the Distant Universe

Light years are a measure of distance, not time. Also, the Earth was not formed at the same time the Universe was. I hope this doesn't go all religiousy.
No, light years measure both distance and time. The time it takes light to travel one year, roughly 6 trillion miles. Therefore, if they received this signal from a radio wave traveling at 6 trillion miles per year and it just arrived, it has traveled for 5.5 billion years at roughly 6 trillion miles per year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong ( and I know you will) our little galaxy is 100 thousand light years across . If we could travel at the speed of light it would take us that 100 thousand years to get across to the other side. Deep space travel is far beyond any capabilities we have or will have, perhaps in the entire life span of our planet. We can't even withstand the environments of space long enough to travel to our neighboring planets let alone deep space.
There are more galaxies in the universe than there are grains of sand on every beach on earth. The logical conclusion is that there are probably millions of inhabited planets but we have to conclude that they are subject to the same physics as the rest of us. For all intents and purposes we are alone.

Last edited:
I confess to being markedly ignorant in the realm of astrophysics, but to a layman, I'm not seeing the big deal here and I'm certainly not seeing this as evidence of ET life.

What am I missing?

I confess to being markedly ignorant in the realm of astrophysics, but to a layman, I'm not seeing the big deal here and I'm certainly not seeing this as evidence of ET life.

What am I missing?

If a star is 200 light years away the light you see tonight is 200 years old. It left the star in 1815 heading out into space. The star could have gone dark since then and no one will know for years to come.

Please correct me if I'm wrong ( and I know you will) our little galaxy is 100 thousand light years across . If we could travel at the speed of light it would take us that 100 thousand years to get across to the other side. Deep space travel is far beyond any capabilities we have or will have, perhaps in the entire life span of our planet. We can't even withstand the environments of space long enough to travel to our neighboring planets let alone deep space.
There are more galaxies in the universe than there are grains of sand on every beach on earth. The logical conclusion is that there are probably millions of inhabited planets but we have to conclude that they are subject to the same physics as the rest of us. For all extents and purposes we are alone.
LOL

Back
Top Bottom