• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are Simple/cheap pickup trucks gone forever?

What would you pay for a new truck with only am/fm, ps, pb, ac and at?

It would have to be manual trans with a 5 speed.
I’d say $20-k tops.
I’m definitely looking at used trucks with tried and true motor/drivetrains.
Was loving the 21-k miles 06 flatbed for sale here but I’m really looking for a dump bed.

And these dudes shelling out big bucks for these high dollar trucks with a short bed?
What’s up with that?

It would have to be manual trans with a 5 speed.
I’d say $20-k tops.

My thoughts as well.

It is possible to hit that price point with a used truck from the late 70s to mid 80s and do a full inspect and repair as necessary, including new crate motor and all accessories. Add a serviceable interior, and new glas and seals.

The thing is , you can not take out a loan on it or insure it to full value.

I have one I just may go this route on.

Truck prices are unreal. Went to relace my 05 z71 and it was $46k in 15. Always wanted a Jeep so I bought a Wrangler 2 door. My first house was only $49k. Still have the 05 and bought a trailer for the Jeep.

My thoughts as well.

It is possible to hit that price point with a used truck from the late 70s to mid 80s and do a full inspect and repair as necessary, including new crate motor and all accessories. Add a serviceable interior, and new glas and seals.

The thing is , you can not take out a loan on it or insure it to full value.

I have one I just may go this route on.

Absolutely.
Would be nice though to see the auto industry to tell
Government mandated “safety” standards to go take a hike so the average joe can buy a new truck without being in debt up to his gills.

Yeah a used truck with good
Mechanicals is the way to go for a bare bones truck especially if you can perform most if not all the work yourself.

I see college kids every day all day driving $50-$80,000 trucks all jacked up with big tires and blindingly maladjusted headlights and can’t help to wonder how it’s going to get paid for if ever.

I’m sure the repo companies repo more high dollar pick up trucks more than ever these days.

Just looked at the new ranger. Loaded was 45000. Being a new first year model I don’t know how much they are coming off it yet. But I don’t think it will be as much as the f150’s. The f159s are discounted as much as 12 to 15 thousand on the loaded models.
That's insane. If a small/mid size truck is priced damn near the same as a full size then what's the point? Maybe it's not doable anymore but I think the market would jump through hoops and get in line for the cheap basic trucks of the 80s and early 90s. I'm talking about the Nissan Harbody, the Mazda (pre Ranger body style) BSeries and even the old Mitsubishi Mighty Max. About 10 years ago I read an article about Kia developing a truck. It never happened but it would have been interesting.
I guess my point is that not everyone wants or needs a Z71 or a Super Duty. Some of us just need a basic regular cab truck that doesn't cost like real estate.

Seems like every time I took the wife's car (or mine) to the dealer for an oil change (or whatever), I found myself walking through the lot looking at pickup trucks. At my age, that can be dangerous as one can be sent into sticker shock rather easily. The sales rep walks up and before he can open his mouth, I say I am just killing time until the car (or truck) is ready. They ask if I want to sell my truck ('96 F-150 XLT - complete with wing window!). I look at them, smile, and say I will be buried in that truck. When I hit 295,000 miles, the truck started having transmission troubles. I took it to my local garage mechanic - dealing with him for 30+ years and said I wanted a crate (Jasper) transmission and engine. He warned me that the $6,000 (for both engine and tranny) would be more than the vehicle is worth (his due diligence) and I said it was cheaper than car payments for X years. So, now I have a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty on a truck I enjoy driving. $40K to $72K for a new one!!! No, they will bury me in this tank.

So, I would like to play devils advocate a little. I drove a 1998 Chevy 4x4 for 20 years...Bought the truck for 22,500.. with financing..probably paid 28,000...$1400 dollars a year not including maintenance and several major repairs..My new truck I could have walked out at 34,000but I added lift and wheels and tires. I will pay just over 40,000 with financing...that is $2000 a year if I can drive for 20 years..doesn’t feel far off to me.

So, I would like to play devils advocate a little. I drove a 1998 Chevy 4x4 for 20 years...Bought the truck for 22,500.. with financing..probably paid 28,000...$1400 dollars a year not including maintenance and several major repairs..My new truck I could have walked out at 34,000but I added lift and wheels and tires. I will pay just over 40,000 with financing...that is $2000 a year if I can drive for 20 years..doesn’t feel far off to me.

I’ll never finance a vehicle.....unless it was a reasonable price that I could pay off in a year or two by doubling or tripling my payments.
I just can’t stand being in debt for anything.

When you pay people $25 hour and up to build vehicles and they all retire with pensions, why else do you think prices continue to rise? Another thing is that’s why the big 3 will close plants here and keep their foreign plants open. If we stop buying them, they would find ways to build them cheaper, but that’s not going to happen. If only people would stick together, there are amazing things we could do. Strength in numbers.
Actually they are finding ways to build them cheaper. Recently Michigan became a right to work state. When I go back home all the guys in the bars are crying about the jobs leaving so now they have to sell the lake house, the campers, the Harley, the snow machines, and both boats. They just can’t seem to live on 70-90 k a year for 40 hours a week. It’s sad up there, maybe we could take up a collection for all the poor underpaid UAW folks. Yeah ford is the longest lasting trucks but that’s because they’ve been out longer than Toyota , now compare the maintenance cost of the lifetime. Don’t even start about the 40k mile dodge transmissions

Back
Top Bottom